none
Transfer Money 2006 files to Quicken RRS feed

• Question

• I have 5 years worth of data in a Money 2006 file on an older computer with Windows XP.  My old computer became corrupted.  That, and other issues, prompted me to buy a new computer with Windows 7.  The Money 2006 was pre-loaded software on the older computer so is not available to be put on the new computer, and I have no other Money 2006 Program CD to use.  The Money 2006 data files have been transferred to the new computer but I have no way of opening or reading those files.

I purchased Quicken 2011 Starter Edition to track expenditures point forward.  I would like to export the past Money 2006 data to Quicken.  I use only the Account Register to track expenditures by category and sub-category.  Quicken supposedly will not import from Money 2006.  I downloaded the 60 day free trial of Money Plus, but it will not open the .mny files from Money 2006 or reinstall those back up files. 

Is there a way to make the transition from Money 2006 to Quicken 2011 Starter Edition?   There are new and used copies of Money 2007 and Money Plus (Money 2008) available online.  Would either of these perform the transition?  Will the free trial copy of Money Plus not work because I have no available disk?

I read DominicP’s reply in the Forum of June 15, 2011.  From that I understand that if I purchase either Money 2007 or 2008, I can open and then save the older files as .qif and then import them to Quicken.  Is this correct?  If not, what are my options?

All ideas are appreciated.

Friday, June 17, 2011 5:24 PM

All replies

• If you have a US version of Money 2006 (Money 2006 is almost certainly a US version), install Money Sunset http://www.microsoft.com/money/sunset.mspx and you will be able to read and use your data file.

If you still want to transfer to Quicken, export your data as qif from Sunset.

No version of Microsoft Money has been on sale for some time. Activation of US versions is no longer possible.

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:39 PM
  • If he's in the UK, the pre-installed version may have been part of an OEM Works Suite installation.

Works Suite 2006 actually shipped with the 1105 version of UK Money 2005. 

Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:12 AM