Exam 70-648 Study Material Recommendations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,<o:p></o:p>

I am about to start studying to upgrade my MCSA 2003 to MCITP Ent Admin. I currently have the MS Press book "Transitioning Your MCSA/MCSE to Windows Server
    2008" but this book does not include the R2 material. If I use this book nd read around on the Release 2 stuff will that be sufficient for the exam or is the book really out of date? Would I be better buying the MS Press books for exams 70-640 & 70-642 and using them to prep for 70-648. <o:p></o:p>

I really wish Microsoft would make this easy and just update the current 70-648 book. Any advice on the best material to use for preparation for the exam would be
    great.<o:p></o:p>

Cheers<o:p></o:p>

Lee<o:p></o:p>

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Lee,

I myself have taken the 70-649 upgrade exam before the R2 release. (70-649 is similar to 70-648 plus 70-643.) I have used the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-643 training kits to prepare for exam since the upgrade training wasn't available yet at that time. More recently I passed the R2 version of the 70-647 exam. As far I can say from my experience and the study guides the original exams are not much different from the R2 versions.

Of course you need to know the R2 stuff, but most questions are not about knowing the specifics of each versions but more about your analytic skills combined with your working knowledge and experience. I suggest you examine the study guide of the 70-648 and focus on the subjects you're not confident at. Also don't forget to look at the various what's new in R2 articles to find out what's new and get some experience at that. Technet articles and webcasts are great resources to get yourself up to speed. Remember Microsoft are these days less about knowing the right books inside out, and more having skills and experience in general.

Passing a Microsoft exam is going to be more challenging every time. You'll have to work harder each time to make sure you'll pass, but it also forces you to grow more doing it, so take that opportunity. Good luck on the exam.

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

I myself have taken the 70-649 upgrade exam before the R2 release. (70-649 is similar to 70-648 plus 70-643.) I have used the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-643 training kits to prepare for exam since the upgrade training wasn't available yet at that time. More recently I passed the R2 version of the 70-647 exam. As far I can say from my experience and the study guides the original exams are not much different from the R2 versions.

Of course you need to know the R2 stuff, but most questions are not about knowing the specifics of each versions but more about your analytic skills combined with your working knowledge and experience. I suggest you examine the study guide of the 70-648 and focus on the subjects you're not confident at. Also don't forget to look at the various what's new in R2 articles to find out what's new and get some experience at that. Technet articles and webcasts are great resources to get yourself up to speed. Remember Microsoft are these days less about knowing the right books inside out, and more having skills and experience in general.

Passing a Microsoft exam is going to be more challenging every time. You'll have to work harder each time to make sure you'll pass, but it also forces you to grow more doing it, so take that opportunity. Good luck on the exam.

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Hi Arjen,

Thanks for your response, I think i will use the 70-648 book and do as you suggest and do the additional reading around on the R2 material. I do feel uncomfortable going into the exam with out a proper study guide for it, i wonder why they never released an R2 book for it? At least the 2nd shot scheme is now available.     

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Hi Chalee77,

As usual, Arjen's information has been very comprehensive, so there's very little else to add.

The CBT Nuggets website has a very useful summary of the R2 additions to the 70-648 exam. FYI, the new R2 stuff starts on the page at "What's New in R2: Intro" and continues to the end.

This info should give you a good idea of the additional R2 material now covered by the 70-648 exam so you can explore it on your own. Furthermore, if you so desire, you can even purchase this CBT Nuggets series. The full list of CBT Nuggets 70-648 videos is located here.

In brief, the new R2 additions are in the following areas:

1. Active Directory Management (including AD Recycle Bin)

2. File and Print Services

3. Core Installation, Search, Backup

4. Group Policy Objects

5. Web Services

6. Windows PowerShell

I hope you found this information useful. I wish you every success on your exam.

• Edited by James JT Taylor Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:30 PM Fixed faulty hyperlink
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi James,

Thankyou for your reply the headings of the CBT Nugget videoa will be very useful as pointers for what to look at in the R2 areas.

Regards

Lee

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:10 AM