What could be trawling through changing the "date modified" of photos? Windows Media Player?? RRS feed

• Question

• This is a problem which might not be SyncToy related but certainly shows up using SyncToy.

On the whole I am happy with SyncToy for keeping multiple copies of my photo collection on multiple systems and usb disks in sync. But now it is unusable because "someone" is gratuitiously changing the "date modified" on my pics. This background process makes an unknown change to the file and updates the date modified, then moves onto the next one. Synctoy will consequently report that hundreds or thousands of files need to be copied over when according to me I have changed nothing. When it gets in this state task manager shows wmplayer with some percent CPU usage and my suspicion is that Media Player is the culprit. I have seen some posts pointing the finger at Media Player for gratuitiously updating MP3s.

Any ideas??

Friday, January 16, 2009 1:39 PM

Answers

• the only way i know is to turn on object auditing and changing the object's security properties to log an event when someone tries to change it's properties.

then you have to search through windows events to find the specific audit details and see if it shows who modified the attributes.

Friday, January 16, 2009 9:33 PM

All replies

• the only way i know is to turn on object auditing and changing the object's security properties to log an event when someone tries to change it's properties.

then you have to search through windows events to find the specific audit details and see if it shows who modified the attributes.

Friday, January 16, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Hi -

We have seen Windows Media Player update Last Write Time on files before. The way to workaround this would be to select the "Check File Contents" option and we will ignore the time and instead look at the file contents itself.

Thanks

Deepa

Monday, January 19, 2009 7:36 PM