Windows 7 Activation - gone phishing? RRS feed

• General discussion

• A word of warning:

I spend much of yesterday trying to activate a Win 7 Pro 64 installation.

When I right clicked on Computer, properties, activate this copy of Windows, I was presented with an option box, with four choices. One of which was "Buy a license key" 

So I did just that. (I had to run a small plugin), but then was presented with a Buy Now button.

I went through the whole purchasing screen, and was told that I would receive my key by e-mail.

Several hours passed, nothing arrive, not even a confirmation of my purchase.

I then decided to call Microsoft. That was a mistake.

I was passed around no less that 6 people, got cut off, and then was told that I had been scammed, that the page was not genuine and was likely to be a phishing site. One dept. blamed another, who passed me back to the first one, where I had to start with my tale of woe all over again.

Imagine how i felt! I had been duped, apparently. 

Fortunately I had taken a copy of the Invoice that appeared on the screen after my purchase.

I then decided to e-mail a copy to wga AT msdirectservices DOT com.
    Eventually I heard back from them, informing me that it was a legitimate purchase, and that my key would be sent soon.

Overnight I received the key, and it has worked ok this morning.

• The moral of this story is:
      Don't believe what MS tell you over the phone: they clearly don't know their own products. (I was told that it was impossible to activate Win 7 anymore, and certainly not from within the OS!) The calls to Customer Service took two hours out of my day.
    • Take screen grabs of each stage. 

Surely it doesn't have to be this difficult? All I was doing was swapping cash for a key.

I am actually a Mac user myself; I was doing this on behalf of a customer of ours. Going on my experience with MS, customer service at MS could do with learning a few things from Apple.

I hope that my experiences help someone else avoid the same heartache the MS caused me.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:43 AM

All replies

• You men you actually get a response of Apple? - many people I talk to are fed up with the lack of a response from them.

I agree that MS's Customer Service departments desperately need better scripts to work from - or better-trained/paid operators on them, but unfortunately these days, the ethos everywhere appears to be 'if it's broke - buy a new one!' rather than actually have the repair man do anything.

Well done for sticking to your guns, and foring it through the system to someone who actuall knows what they are talking about - and thanks for that email address (which I had never seen before, and which I suspect will now get spammed to death unless I remember to edit it). I was actually quite surprised that it was a legit domain - I had to check its whois data before I believed it.

Good luck with the  machine/install - by proxy :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:46 PM