WGA and updates failures RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try to get updates the WGA update causes everything else to fail.  Not sure how to solve this issue.  Please help!!

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BVGPT-TCYQK-P8WWB
    Windows Product Key Hash: qniUTWF5L2JjTlZvnqAupcKuTE4=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-641-1003926-23829
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {5FE307F7-8D91-4C92-8ABA-12983063A8E3}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings:
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{5FE307F7-8D91-4C92-8ABA-12983063A8E3}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P8WWB</PKey><PID>55274-641-1003926-23829</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3586177650-333984238-3038749594</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 2400               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030919000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B9293F4F01842062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell DIMENSION DIM2400</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>B5E1814A8C9F5D2</Val><Hash>xsHpWtR8vfXRgqgEtN/EXWugT7Y=</Hash><Pid>70141-745-6554512-56784</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, August 13, 2007 2:14 AM

Answers

• Here is some additional info that might be helpful...

When I first started working on this machine, there was a blue screen of death that would not go away.  I used vlk copy of windows xp pro, because my friend did not bring his software with his machine, and did an os repair...it asked for the key at the time, and the key on the pc would not be accepted...not sure why, but thought I could deal with that later.  Did the repair used the vlk key.  Used MS keyupdate tool to change key back, unsuccessfully...I'm beginning to guess that this is why I cannot update and not necessarily WGA at all.  I know the key that I have is valid and should work, but does not...any help is greatly appreciated.

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:11 AM
  • I do still need assistance...everytime I try and retrieve updates, either automatically or manually, they fail.  I need to change the product key from VLK back to the user valid XP Pro license key.  the key changing tool does not work...please someone can you help me out?

Monday, August 13, 2007 4:34 PM
  •  

Imagegecko,

Curious are you receiving any error messages whatsoever?  Using a VLK or other software should not be used unless it is specifically licensed for that particular. The best option would be contact Dell Technicial Support and order the recovery software medial for your model.

Recovery Software CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:  800- 624-9896

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup&advsrch=False  http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/get_article.asp?aid=1293

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Actually the message that comes up is after a download/installation attempt of updates:

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed.

Solution: to fix the problem, try installing the updates again.  (I DID) If that doesn't work, use the troubleshooter to try to solve the problem.

Many updates failed...74 to be exact, starting with:

KB873339 -KB936357

I've searched and searched and can only surmise that the VLK license is frozen so that I cannot get updates...This user initially had XP home on his dell pc...

I know this is a new issue from my original post, but can I go back to that without hosing everything?

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Imagecko,

As far as going back this depends. Sounds like in your situation this will be no. You can use the product keyupdate tool to change keys but you can't go say from Pro to Home. 

Right now you do have a couple options first would be purchase the WGA kit for $149 which would provide a valid key and software. Another option would be contact Dell Technical support and ask for the reinstallation media. 

Recovery Software CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:  800- 624-9896

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup&advsrch=False  http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/get_article.asp?aid=1293

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Thank you for your time...My friend has presented me his media...I think at this point the only thing to do is use the recovery software and rebuild his system.  I've tried so many things and where I'm currently hanging is at the SP2 installation.  It gets part way through and says access denied...Too many registry changes have occurred in all my efforts and time.  It will be alot simpler to do a clean install. Retrieving data is the only time consuming part.  Thanks to all who commented on this thread.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:35 PM
  • Imagecko,

Here is a quick trick for retrieving data you can use should the computer not boot @ all. Install Windows and select the option for not reformatting the hard disk. Once this has been accomplished go after the data. Use the *. command using the search option in Windows Explorer for various data you need to recover such as *.gif, *.jpeg, (both gif and jpeg pictures) *.doc (word documents) and other file extensions. Simply create a file folder on the system. Create sub-folders within and start putting your data here. Last is burn the one parent folder either to a Cd or DVD-Rom disc or off load to an external drive.

Now you can reimage the system and reformat the hard drive. This will take more time but @ least you can retrieve all your valuabe data prior finalizing the system.  Take care and glad we were of service to you.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:52 PM

All replies

• Here is some additional info that might be helpful...

When I first started working on this machine, there was a blue screen of death that would not go away.  I used vlk copy of windows xp pro, because my friend did not bring his software with his machine, and did an os repair...it asked for the key at the time, and the key on the pc would not be accepted...not sure why, but thought I could deal with that later.  Did the repair used the vlk key.  Used MS keyupdate tool to change key back, unsuccessfully...I'm beginning to guess that this is why I cannot update and not necessarily WGA at all.  I know the key that I have is valid and should work, but does not...any help is greatly appreciated.

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:11 AM
  • I do still need assistance...everytime I try and retrieve updates, either automatically or manually, they fail.  I need to change the product key from VLK back to the user valid XP Pro license key.  the key changing tool does not work...please someone can you help me out?

Monday, August 13, 2007 4:34 PM
  •  

Imagegecko,

Curious are you receiving any error messages whatsoever?  Using a VLK or other software should not be used unless it is specifically licensed for that particular. The best option would be contact Dell Technicial Support and order the recovery software medial for your model.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Actually the message that comes up is after a download/installation attempt of updates:

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed.

Solution: to fix the problem, try installing the updates again.  (I DID) If that doesn't work, use the troubleshooter to try to solve the problem.

Many updates failed...74 to be exact, starting with:

KB873339 -KB936357

I've searched and searched and can only surmise that the VLK license is frozen so that I cannot get updates...This user initially had XP home on his dell pc...

I know this is a new issue from my original post, but can I go back to that without hosing everything?

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Imagecko,

As far as going back this depends. Sounds like in your situation this will be no. You can use the product keyupdate tool to change keys but you can't go say from Pro to Home. 

Right now you do have a couple options first would be purchase the WGA kit for $149 which would provide a valid key and software. Another option would be contact Dell Technical support and ask for the reinstallation media. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Thank you for your time...My friend has presented me his media...I think at this point the only thing to do is use the recovery software and rebuild his system.  I've tried so many things and where I'm currently hanging is at the SP2 installation.  It gets part way through and says access denied...Too many registry changes have occurred in all my efforts and time.  It will be alot simpler to do a clean install. Retrieving data is the only time consuming part.  Thanks to all who commented on this thread.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:35 PM
  • Imagecko,

Here is a quick trick for retrieving data you can use should the computer not boot @ all. Install Windows and select the option for not reformatting the hard disk. Once this has been accomplished go after the data. Use the *. command using the search option in Windows Explorer for various data you need to recover such as *.gif, *.jpeg, (both gif and jpeg pictures) *.doc (word documents) and other file extensions. Simply create a file folder on the system. Create sub-folders within and start putting your data here. Last is burn the one parent folder either to a Cd or DVD-Rom disc or off load to an external drive.

Now you can reimage the system and reformat the hard drive. This will take more time but @ least you can retrieve all your valuabe data prior finalizing the system.  Take care and glad we were of service to you.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:52 PM