Media Center Unknown Error Event ID 523 RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this is not the proper place to post this, its the most relevant forum I could find.

I have recently been plagued by a Media Center Extender error that will not let me install a Media Center Extender.

When trying to install the device I use the add extender feature, and put in the eight numbers. I am then presented with "Configuration Error: An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this extender".

I have looked through numerous sources for an answer but have found none.

In my event Viewer, it shows the only error being EventID 523. It simply states:

"Media Center Extender Setup failed at step 120.

Error: Unspecified error"

Here is the raw XML:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">  
      <System>  
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender" Guid="{7B7838A3-6562-4269-BB7A-97B0D9593882}" />   
        <EventID>523</EventID>   
        <Version>0</Version>   
        <Level>2</Level>   
        <Task>4</Task>   
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>   
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>   
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-02-03T03:34:42.755320300Z" />   
        <EventRecordID>159</EventRecordID>   
        <Correlation />   
        <Execution ProcessID="4964" ThreadID="5924" />   
        <Channel>Media Center</Channel>   
        <Computer>Norbert7</Computer>   
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-4215621855-1378542880-638176125-1001" />   
      </System>  
      <EventData>  
        <Data Name="SetupStep">120</Data>   
        <Data Name="Error">-2147467259</Data>   
      </EventData>  
    </Event>  

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:02 AM

Answers

• If there is anyone still having this issue;
    Go to C:\windows\system32\grouppolicy and delete the contents of the folder.
    You will need to untick Hide Protected Operating System Files and select Show Hidden Files and Folders before you browse.

I have windows 7 pro and an Xbox 360. this was frustrating but the clue came when I couldn't edit the group policy.

Hope it works for you too.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:36 AM

All replies

• I am also having this issue. It  utterly f-ing frustrating to say the least. I ave been trying to get this working for 3 days straght now and am going nowhere. I am using Windows 7-7100. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:49 PM
  • I am also having this issue. It  utterly f-ing frustrating to say the least. I ave been trying to get this working for 3 days straght now and am going nowhere. I am using Windows 7-7100. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya both. Any solutions so far? Having same issue with the 64bit RC.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem as well though it doesn't seem too many others are.  Did your computer lock up during an initial attempt at connecting to your extender?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Yup. That's what happened to me. Locked up during initial setup. I had to delete every single thing that pertained to teh configuration on the PC (basically as if I had just formatted and reinstalled the entire OS) and delete the Media Center software off of the XBOX360. After that I ran the config again and it worked second time round. Also, from what I am getting. I think this is an issue only with 64bit OS.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:10 PM
  • What exactly did you delete?  I deleted the ehome config file and removed the settings from the registry for media center and it seemed to start fresh, but it went immediately to the configuration error screen as it had before.  The initial setup, when it locked up, it attempted to download something and then it crashed.  I have been unable to even get the first step of the setup to work since that problem. 

I've done all the normal stuff.  I've deleted the certificate, I've turned on the network service, I've deleted the xbox media center files (which it never prompted me to download again).  I then tried to remove all media center settings to no avail.  I'm at a loss here how to get it back to zero. 
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Besides the usual deleting of the ehome files and the certificate, try this (it's what got me going again) and please remeber to turn your xbox off while deleting stuff off of the PC and then disconnect the xbox from your network before removing the dashboard [don't ask me why, but that was the only way I got it to work for me]  Also please note that I was unable to get to the Extender tab in Media Center, hence the manuall delete of ehome files and settings and certificates. Just jump down to line 6:

To remove the Xbox 360 Extender connection, you must perform steps on both Xbox 360 and on the Windows Media Center computer.

On your Windows Media Center computer, start Windows Media Center.

On the start screen, scroll to Tasks, and then click settings.

Click Extender, and then click the Xbox 360 console.

Click Uninstall.

Follow the steps in the Extender Uninstall wizard to uninstall the Extender.

On your Xbox 360, use your Xbox 360 controller to scroll to My Xbox, select System Settings, and then select Computers.

Select Windows Media Center, and then press the A button.

Select Disconnect.

Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.

If the Xbox 360 console has a hard drive or a memory card, on the System Settings screen, select Memory.

Select Hard Drive, select Games, select Xbox 360 Dashboard, and then select Windows Media Center.

Select Delete, and then press the A button.

Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Unfortunately, I am also having this exact same problem.  Media Center detects the 360 automatically, then I obtain the code from the 360, I do not hit "continue" on the 360, then I enter the code into Media Center.  The very first time, it seemed to think long and hard about establishing the connection, but it hung.  All subsequent times, it gives the error message immediately with no thought/attempt at configuration.

I have seen a number of forums and answers from MS's own websites indicating that the next move is to delete the certificate.  Unfortunately, after following the directions, installing the correct snap in, etc., there is no certificate to delete under the "personal" folder.  As a result I have not been able to attempt that step.  Anyone else experience this lack of a certificate to delete?

Further, with respect to the above solutions from Pitbull -- In the Media Center software, there is no "uninstall" option with respect to the Xbox 360, so this solution does not work either.

Finally, on the 360 itself, under System Settings/Memory/Hard Drive/Games, there is no "Xbox 360 Dashboard" selection, and thus, no Windows Media Center option to delete.

Anyone else experience any of this in their attempt to correct this issue?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Yeah... As you said, there is no uninstall option since it never finished installing :) That's why I said to jump down to line 6. As for the Dashboard issue... hummm... I guess you got me on that one. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:27 PM
  • I have the exact same issue.  I have followed the instructions shown above, but they have proven to be unsuccessful at resolving the issue.  Here is how my problem started.
    The first time I attempted to setup my xbox to the media center, all was going well, until my computer unexpectedly restarted (my child pressed the reset button on my computer).  When the pc restarted, I attempted to restart the configuration when I was presented with this error after entering the xbox 8 digit number.  (An error was encoutered while configuring your computer for use with this Extender.)  checking the error logs shows this error (Media Center Extender Setup failed at step 120.).  I have no certificates in the place where the others said to look, probably because the installation never finished.  I have removed all the items from the xbox as well.  The error messages dont tell the user anything and are as worthless as not having one at all.  There doesnt appear to be a definitative resolution to the issue either, not one i can find anyway.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:39 AM

• Guys,  I've got the exact same issue.  The first time I tried to connect the xbox to my Media PC it frooze so the install didn't complete properly - I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 RTM.   I've tried all the things mentioned - delete cert etc.  On the xbox I don't follow what I need to do.  If I go in to games area on the hard drive I don't have a xbox dashboard - just a list of games profiles??  so I'm not sure what I need to delete.

My current status is as follow - if I turn on my Xbox go to the media center option, select connect I get my code.  I go to my PC - fire up Media Centre, select task, select externder, I can see the xbox with a configure option (no Uninstall option) status not configured - if I select configure I can enter the code press next and I get the error " an Error was encountered etc...."  (note if I go into the system setting on the xbox, select media centre, select set-up I get a new code - I can see that this will change the code on the unconfigured xbox extender on the PC).   I don't understand why it doesn't just treat this as a new extender connection - it's like it wants to complete the original connection process but can't because the original code is not available any more.   Where does Microsoft keep the data about the extender - I've search the registery, also looking in eHome (Local and Roaming) directories  nothing obvious there..

any pointers please - this is driving me crazy..  

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hey has anybody found an answer :)

I've tried everything as well, and I mean everything!!  I'm too beat from spending four hours on this to list everything that I've done...  But I've done all the things listed above and yes, my xbox recognizes my computer and photos from the non-WMC option - and my puter recognizes my Xbox as a device.

I too have a Windows 7 x64 machine...  I bought the XBOX mainly for this feature too...

I had the freeze of Win Media Center at the beginning too -then I uninstalled and reinstalled WMC from Ctl Panel - Programs - clicked the windows button to the side - and under media it gave me and option to uncheck it...  Followed the same procedure to get it back...  And WMC came up fine, but still get the "Configuration Error: An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this extender".
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:00 AM
  • There are lots of threads about this W7/xobx issue.  Has a solution been found by anyone?  Thanks,
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:11 AM
  • If there is anyone still having this issue;
    Go to C:\windows\system32\grouppolicy and delete the contents of the folder.
    You will need to untick Hide Protected Operating System Files and select Show Hidden Files and Folders before you browse.

I have windows 7 pro and an Xbox 360. this was frustrating but the clue came when I couldn't edit the group policy.

Hope it works for you too.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:36 AM
  • This was it for me.  Crazy thing was I have two boxes and while one was working the other couldn't be joined, then later the working one couldn't join.  This fixed it!
    Monday, September 12, 2011 2:28 AM
  • This worked for me after searching for 3 hours for a solution. I tried everything I could find but only your solution worked. So thank you!
    Monday, January 9, 2012 8:13 PM
  • THAT WORKED!!! 

I was getting the 523 error when i attempted to change my extender from using one WMC computer to another WMC computer. After hours of troubleshooting, searching, deleting the contents of the grouppolicy folder as explained above did the trick. 

THANKS!!

Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:44 PM
  • I thought, that was crazy talk, delete everything from the C:\windows\system32\grouppolicy directory.  That post must be some troll poking fun at us Windows users.  But after trying everything else, like making sure all the services were started automatically, nothing seem to work.  Sure enough, I closed Media Center, I deleted everything under the directory, started Media Center back up, went back to add the extender and Bingo it worked.  It took a while, but it finally worked.   Totally awesome, thanks! 

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:37 AM