none
Adding random destinations RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning a trip that will be covering approximately 18,000 miles with stops in 60 cities starting in April.  Unless I have completely missed some instruction, how do I add a city somewhere within my trip and have S&T recalculate the entire trip to show the shortest complete route?  I got to 58 destinations, then had to add 2 others in completly different parts of the country, yet S&T takes me to #58 in El Paso, Tx, then plans the next leg to Seattle, before going back to San Antonio.   A bit inconvenient....  LOL!
    Friday, December 10, 2010 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

I don't have S&T in front of me, but in the Route Planner pane (Ctrl+r), there is a button (I think it is on the bottom) which has the function to optimize your stops. You decide the Start and End locations, and the feature will reshuffle the stops inbetween.

Laptop GPS World
    • Proposed as answer by winwaed Monday, December 13, 2010 2:02 PM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 1:47 PM
  • As Marvin says: Internally (ie. for programmers) it is known as "Optimize", and I think it has the same name on the routing pane. 60 points will take a while to optimize - so if you hit a button and S&T pauses for at least a few minutes, you've found it! :-)

Richard

Richard Marsden http://www.geowebguru.com http://www.mapping-tools.com
    Monday, December 13, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Hi John - Here's a quick 1.5 min video that shows the 'Optimize' button that winwaed references.

So, in the route planner pane - you can assign stops - and use the 'Optimize Stops' button to have Streets and Trips calculate the most efficient route.  You can also manually adjust the order of the stops using the 'up' and 'down' arrows.

Hit the single X to clear highlighted stop.  Hit the double X's to clear the entire route. 

60 cities, 18,000 miles - YIKES!

Keith O'Brien
    Monday, December 20, 2010 10:15 PM