none
QSM.EXE Process & High CPU Usage RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using WHS on an HP Media Smart EX485.

I noticed that when accessing files on the server, i.e., view a video or a photo (by clicking directly on the file), within seconds of clicking on the file, the server begins a QSM.EXE process that pegs the CPU usage at 100% for several seconds.
    During one episode, using the File Monitor program, I was able to determine that qsm.exe performed 14,168 operations in a very short period of time causing CPU usage to be pegged for approximately 15 seconds at 100%.  Further, it appears that the qsm.exe process is accessing all of the files on my server.... doing what, I haven't a clue.

Here's a sample of the File Monitor log:
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	CLOSE	D:\shares\Music\Foreigner\Records\	SUCCESS		
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Foreigner\	NO MORE FILES	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	CLOSE	D:\shares\Music\Foreigner\	SUCCESS		
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	OPEN	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: 00100001	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: *	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	OPEN	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\Unknown Album\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: 00100001	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\Unknown Album\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: *	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\Unknown Album\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\Unknown Album\	NO MORE FILES	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	CLOSE	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\Unknown Album\	SUCCESS		
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\	NO MORE FILES	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	CLOSE	D:\shares\Music\Four Seasons\	SUCCESS		
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	OPEN	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: 00100001	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: *	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	OPEN	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Capitol Collector's Series\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: 00100001	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Capitol Collector's Series\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: *	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Capitol Collector's Series\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Capitol Collector's Series\	NO MORE FILES	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	CLOSE	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Capitol Collector's Series\	SUCCESS		
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	OPEN	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Sinatra Reprise (The Very Good Years)\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: 00100001	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Sinatra Reprise (The Very Good Years)\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: *	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Sinatra Reprise (The Very Good Years)\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Sinatra Reprise (The Very Good Years)\	NO MORE FILES	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	CLOSE	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\Sinatra Reprise (The Very Good Years)\	SUCCESS		
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	OPEN	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years   Disc 3\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: 00100001	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years   Disc 3\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: *	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years   Disc 3\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years   Disc 3\	NO MORE FILES	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	CLOSE	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years   Disc 3\	SUCCESS		
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	OPEN	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years (disc 1)\	SUCCESS	Options: Open Directory  Access: 00100001	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years (disc 1)\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation: *	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years (disc 1)\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	
    4:25:50 PM	qsm.exe:2236	DIRECTORY	D:\shares\Music\Frank Sinatra\The Capitol Years (disc 1)\	SUCCESS	FileBothDirectoryInformation	

I've ran CHDSK as instructed in the FAQ on this site and there were no errors.  Again, this QSM.EXE issue only happens when I initially access a file on the server.

I am not an expert but this does not appear to be normal activity.  Any of your ideas, hints, tips, etc., would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Sunday, September 6, 2009 10:43 PM

Answers

• I've battled this several times.  I just upgraded my ex485 to an Intel E5200 dual core cpu and it helps a bit, dropping the CPU useage to the 50 - 75% range.  The problem is Twonky Media.  If you have a lot of data, it just constantly hogs the CPU, probably doing some sort of indexing for itself.  Uninstall Twonky and you'll see everything calm right down to remakably low levels.  The difference is immediate, stunning, and dramatic.

I actually turned it back on again just to see if it might calm down after a while, but I've read elsewher that others have never seen a decrease in CPU load even after several days of letting it run.  I shut it down last night because it was running near 100% for extended periods and it was raising the temps a bit.

Just turn off Twonky if you don't use it.  Most of us don't.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• Anyone?
    • Proposed as answer by gman8845 Friday, September 11, 2009 1:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, September 11, 2009 2:56 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Can you check on your server to see if your drives are running in PIO mode?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:57 PM
  • When I click on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the device manager, there are no drives listed.  I don't see that Intel Application Accelerator is running or even installed for that matter.

Is there another way to check?

This is on a MediaSmart EX485 unit.  Thanks
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:09 AM
  • I was able to determine the transfer mode using Crystal Disk Info.  All of my drives are running SATA/300.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:30 AM
  • I've battled this several times.  I just upgraded my ex485 to an Intel E5200 dual core cpu and it helps a bit, dropping the CPU useage to the 50 - 75% range.  The problem is Twonky Media.  If you have a lot of data, it just constantly hogs the CPU, probably doing some sort of indexing for itself.  Uninstall Twonky and you'll see everything calm right down to remakably low levels.  The difference is immediate, stunning, and dramatic.

I actually turned it back on again just to see if it might calm down after a while, but I've read elsewher that others have never seen a decrease in CPU load even after several days of letting it run.  I shut it down last night because it was running near 100% for extended periods and it was raising the temps a bit.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:34 PM

You're 100% correct... Twonky was the culprit.  It's a shame because I DO use it but not anymore I guess. 
    • Proposed as answer by Gary J51 Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:58 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Update - After 4 days Twonky actually settled down.  I guess if you have the patience it will actually calm down after several days depending on how much data you have stored.  Also keep in mind that I installed a dual core CPU in my MSS.  The same process probably would have taken more then a week if I still had the original Celeron in the system.

So I guess you just have to decide if it's worth it to wait for Twonky to index all the files.  I've also read that if you reboot the server, it goes through the whole process again.

So, if you really want to watch your home videos on that 65" flat screen in the family room ...
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Just to work out how long people can expect to have twonky run until it finishes indexing (or whatever it does) media files can you say how many files you had of each type? i.e. Video, audio and photos in the shares?

I've just gone 24 hours with 60,000mp3 ~1,000 videos and ~5,000 photos - I'd like to know if I'm in for a few days or my guess closer to a month of full CPU.
    --
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Your estimate may be close.  I think I've got about 10k music files, very few videos, and about the same on photos.  The real news is that even when everything finally gets indexed, Twonky still runs like ____.  It is a waste of time.  We are looking at WebGuide for streaming.  Initial results are encouraging.  I'm still not convinced that these HP MSS servers have enough horsepower for streaming video.  I'll keep testing though.  I've now got 5TB of storage in the whs, a gigabit wired/ wireless N network with 10 computers and a home theater with a large plasma in the family room.  I bought the HP WHS to tie it altogether.  Once again HP's hype doesn't jive with reality.

Home builds forever from now on.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Hi, I've this problem with QSM.exe that take 100% CPU all the time.
    No Twonky installed.. so what could be the problem?
    Windows search service is disabled.
    QSM use about 8.5mb of memory, but always 100% of CPU.
    If i open some other application, QSM always stay up (70/80%) and the system is very very slow.
    QSM stop only if Demigrator use up to 60% of CPU.

Thanks.

Friday, January 15, 2010 12:34 AM