How can I video conference with Office Communicator 2007... RRS feed

• Question

•  

...and allow all the users in the video call to see each other all the time during the call? Is it possible?

We're running:

Windows Enterprise Server 2003

Office Communications Server 2007

Office Communicator 2007

Live Meeting 2007

Monday, April 7, 2008 2:25 PM

Answers

• I mean..when you use video conference, and all the participates in the different locations, it will switch automatically the screen. and show the person who is talking..is not enough for conference? i think it's enough for most company..because the bandwith will be costed too much. 

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:24 PM

All replies

•  

in your environment, user can use communicator client for video conference, but if you want to use LiveMeeting 2007, you

need to config the settings-->right click the forest-->select global properties-->meetings-->select policy you want,

but do not select the default policy, it can not use the video conference.

In the secreen, you just can see the host unless you use the RoundTable...

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:12 AM
  •  ㄚ呆呆 wrote:

in your environment, user can use communicator client for video conference, but if you want to use LiveMeeting 2007, you

need to config the settings-->right click the forest-->select global properties-->meetings-->select policy you want,

but do not select the default policy, it can not use the video conference.

In the secreen, you just can see the host unless you use the RoundTable...

This is what I was wondering. If I can see everyone in the meeting all at once and not just 1 person. The RoundTable doesn't really offer a solution if all the participants of the meeting are in different locations. What then is the point of Video "Conference" if I can only see one person?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:30 PM
  • I mean..when you use video conference, and all the participates in the different locations, it will switch automatically the screen. and show the person who is talking..is not enough for conference? i think it's enough for most company..because the bandwith will be costed too much. 

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Oh really? I never noticed that it did that. I would have to try it and see if it actually happens.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:42 PM
  • oh..sorry..my english is bad...i will enhance it..ha

otherwise, you can test the function, i demo that usually. i am sure that it's OK

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Did you get a solution for this.  we would also like to do a video conference and be able to see all parties all the time, not just when they are talking...

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:04 AM
  • I want the same thing, I would like to be able to see ALL OF THE PARTICIPANTS ALL OF THE TIME.  The round table view is useless to us.   I dont want to hear about bandwidth issues either, we're on a corporate network with oodles and oodles of bandwidth.   If there is not an option for this it needs to be added as a feature request????
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Brad, I would like to better understand your need.

When you say the RT view is useless, it's a rather firm statement and quite different from what I often hear from customers. Would you explain why?

Also why do you want to watch everybody all the time?

How much bandwidth cost are you willing to pay for that? Each stream is say about 350 kbps. If you have about 4 attendees that is a T1... Or how much of the quality of the video are you willing to sacrifice?

Are you expressing your desire for the feature in a fully baked manner (i.e. are those the all-up needs of your company, incl. the network team, after consideration of network impact, and of the desktop team, after consideration that your machines would be able to process multiple streams from a CPU, etc point of view)? I am no trying to belittle the request, but want to make sure that it takes all those trade-offs in consideration. In many discussions with customers, I have heard that type of request, but when we checked, we found that the network team was blocking even the smallest size single stream video for lack of bandwidth...

Thanks
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:11 PM