Documentation - Where is it? RRS feed

• Question

• As I have seen, there is nothing other than "Getting Started" to work with.

I have filed this bug on Connect, maybe a couple of votes will get something moving.

--
    Don
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:22 PM

All replies

• I read what was posted and just filed this for others to add onto.

If I have any issues, as you are stating, I file a bug report stating exactly what happened. I also collect the logs needed from the server and the client and upload them.

"A backup that stops in the middle and doesn't give an error", well, I would file it just like that and include the recommended log files from the server and the client.

The other one on the Media Center connector, can't find the information file it as a bug with as much information as possible. Maybe you will get answers by doing it this way.

--
    Don
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:56 PM
  • >As I have seen, there is nothing other than "Getting Started" to work with.

Voted it up and left a comment, Don. What we have so far is woefully inadequate, in my estimation. And . . . so pale as to be pretty much useless for those with vision problems.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, March 14, 2011 1:42 AM
  • If we indeed do have to file a bug report for every question we have, then what was the purpose of this forum?

The purpose of this forum is for the BTs (Beta Testers) to discuss issues between themselves and help each other out. It does  not exist solely for Microsoft's Development Engineers to come and hold our hands and sift through myriad messages looking for what might be a bug. It is our job as BTs to file those bugs. That isn't to say that when Jonas gets time, he won't appear; as you saw today, he stops by when he can.

General Information: Prior to practically all Microsoft betas becoming "public" only, there were what were called Technical Betas. However, apparently, Microsoft has decided that all betas shall now be public and those former "technical beta testers" are no longer needed. There are some "holdovers" to the former Technical Betas who are still around. Don't expect any of them to stand up and wave his/her hands in the air and claim to be one. They have most likely signed an NDA agreement and can't tell anyone if they are one of those technical BTs.

What seems to no longer be general knowledge is that those who become beta testers, at the very least agree to file bugs. Discovery of bugs is why betas are released, and beta testers are supposed to file them on Connect. When we file a bug, it gets 'triaged' by someone on the Team, processed and put in line for attention. If the Team were to be required to "gather up all the bugs" from any given forum, there would be nothing but sheer chaos. After these bugs are assigned to a particular group, the Team members work to resolve the issue.

As you have seen, Don filed a bug about (lack of) documentation and posted a link to it in this forum. I have followed that link (clicked on it) and have cast my vote to declare it is an important issue for me. Of course, some bugs are more important than others; I have an issue with errors in my server's client database. So far, although it seems to be a known issue, only 6 people have voted it as important. Then, there's the issue of DE being discontinued in WHS 2011. There are a number of bugs/suggestions filed, not the least is one entitled "Remove DE from Aurora but Leave it in Vail". There are 192 votes for that one; 41 votes for a similar one, with 19 on another.

What I am saying is that if someone files a link to a bug and you think it's important, follow the link they have given and vote! If you file a bug and think it's important, post a message with a link to that bug so we can vote on it.

Bottom line . . . this forum is for interaction and helping each other with the beta. We as BTs should file bugs; we cannot expect Microsoft's Development Engineers to sift through forums looking for what might be a bug. Kind of a high salary for doing that, I'd say . . .

Nancy Ward
    Monday, March 14, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Up voted, left a comment, and posted a work around many will like!

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

As I have seen, there is nothing other than "Getting Started" to work with.

Voted it up and left a comment, Don. What we have so far is woefully inadequate, in my estimation. And . . . so pale as to be pretty much useless for those with vision problems.

Nancy Ward

BullDawg
    Monday, March 14, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Don,

Documentation is on connect or available "on-line" here: Windows Home Server 2011 Online Help (I think this is still being worke on)

For the rest, concidering WHS being a OEM product, I do not think you will find much "end-user" documentation as this will be one of the responsibilities of the "manufacturor" marketing the final product?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Why wouldn't Microsoft provide documentation for an OEM product? After all, the OEMs have to know how to use the product if they're gonna build 'chines for it. Besides, I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would build a product and just "throw it out there" to the wolves and let them decide how much, how little or even what kind of documentation to supply or not . . . It just doesn't make any sense to me that Microsoft would be that stupid.

On the other paw . . . :)

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Heh Heh . . .

Welp, if it's actually true that WHS 2011 will go RTM on March 30, you can betcher sweet bippies I'll quickly go back to WHS V1. From where I sit, WHS 2011 isn't ready for release.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Nancy,
    I agree with you (and Don) that there should be some documentation.
    Most certainly MS will have it available for the OEM's at RTM. Actually: I have not seen it nor do I know if and when it will be available :-)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, March 18, 2011 7:55 PM