Setting up a small cluster for development RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to setup a small cluster for learning and testing. I'm not interested in learning the IT Pro part of using Windows HPC (no HA, no separate private/application networks), only development. I want to buy PCs with the AMD E-350 CPUs, since it would allow me to setup a cluster for less than $300 per node. The question is how many nodes should I buy? I'm thinking about 2 or 3 nodes: one head node and one or two compute nodes. I read it is possible to use the head node for computation, so probably two PCs would be enough. Is there any reason to get an additional compute node? (I really want to use it only for learning - the small computing power doesn't matter).
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:26 PM

Answers

• 2~3 nodes are enough for dev, unless you're aiming very large scale app and want to simulate the load in dev environment.

Monday, March 14, 2011 6:53 AM
  • With the Headnode configured to also be a Compute Node you'd not get a lot of additional benefit between having 2 or 3 total machines for your initial development experience. As your programs grow more advanced you can easily add additional machines to your cluster to gain experience with different scale problems.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 11:03 PM

All replies