Multi-File DB Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently considering Microsft Sync Framework for an application that is an occasionally connected application. 

I was wondering, is it possible to use multiple compact SQL databases as my file storage mechnism?

I want the application to have save functionality similar to that of microsoft word and the user would save each aspect of work in an individual file.

If i used a compact sql DB's as file storage type for each scenario of work would it be possible to sync all of these small databases back to a single large databse online?

The small databases would have the same structure as the larger db.

The amount of data isn't a large amount and the amount of times the user would require a synchronisation to take place would be fairly minimal also.

I hope i've described this architecture clearly enough, if i haven't please let me know and i can provide further information.

Thanks

A2thaz

Sunday, June 6, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

• Yes you can use Sync Framework to achieve what  you want for your scenario. (Take a look at the supported architecture at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb902818(v=SQL.105).aspx )

For your scenarios, one of the possbile solution is

- Server uses SqlSyncProvider, and define different sync scopes (tables and/or filters for tables) for different clients to consume.

- Multiple clients each use a SqlCeSyncProvider (in a separate SQl ce file). Different clients Participate in different scopes defined similar to the server.

- Server and a specifiec client can sync data in a specific scope.

• Marked as answer by a2thaz Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:23 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 5:12 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Yes you can use Sync Framework to achieve what  you want for your scenario. (Take a look at the supported architecture at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb902818(v=SQL.105).aspx )

For your scenarios, one of the possbile solution is

- Server uses SqlSyncProvider, and define different sync scopes (tables and/or filters for tables) for different clients to consume.

- Multiple clients each use a SqlCeSyncProvider (in a separate SQl ce file). Different clients Participate in different scopes defined similar to the server.

- Server and a specifiec client can sync data in a specific scope.

• Marked as answer by a2thaz Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:23 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 5:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your help, it would appear that the sync framework provides what we need.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:25 AM