PC Restore with New Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I am pretty new to this, but on my Dell 4600 with XP, I had to replace the Seagate hard drive with a new Western Digital hard drive.  After the install, I tried to restore the pc using the PC Restore Disk from the HP MediaServer I have, but got the message: Windows could  not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.  Could not read from the selected boot disk.  Check boot path and disk hardware.  Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

So, how do I fix this?  I have Googled some solutions but none seem to work.  Any suggestions?  Thx.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 1:27 AM

All replies

• Your PC is probably set to boot off of the hard drive first. You will need to enter the BIOS and configure it to boot off your CD or DVD drive.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:36 PM
  • If its like my Dell, right after you start the computer hit F12 and it should give you a boot menu where you can choose what to boot from.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Are you getting the error after the restore completed? If so, then the problem is that your original disk from Dell contained multiple partitions and your new disk does not contain the boot partition at the same position on the drive. Dell ships their systems with recovery partitions that you cannot see from Windows. Doing this saves them the $.05 that shipping a CD with your system would cost them

To get your system to boot, you need to fix the BOOT.INI file on your restored hard drive. I give more details in this thread.

HTH,
    Joe

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:24 PM
  • Hardware configuration is the biggest problem when you try replace one hard drive with another, and what's more, you need keep the system reserved and all the original apps still installed.

Clone the whole hard drive - the easiest way not to suffer hardware configuration...

ToDo backup soft does the whole hard disk cloning feature the best.

If hard drive installed server OS, this would be a good guide   http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/review/2028388/easeus-todo-backup-server-review

if the hard drive installed windows home use OS, just like windows 7, windows vista, windows 2000 sp4, or windows xp, this article may give u a hand  http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/clone/replace-hard-drive.htm 

Monday, March 7, 2011 6:26 AM