Windows image backup over network or Connector computer backup (which is better) + connector services RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey all,

I'm curious which is better: if windows image backup over the network to the whs or using connector to install on each computer and back them up to the whs.

Speed, ease of use, restoring, etc.

Also, I noticed installing connector started a bunch of services on my windows 7x64 desktop.  Can i get away with turning some off like the tv archive service?  Or is the connector really even needed?

Just curious of others' opinions and thoughts.

Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:58 AM

All replies

• http://lmgtfy.com/?q=disable+connector+services+WHS+2011&l=1

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hey all,

I'm curious which is better: if windows image backup over the network to the whs or using connector to install on each computer and back them up to the whs.

Speed, ease of use, restoring, etc.

Also, I noticed installing connector started a bunch of services on my windows 7x64 desktop. Can i get away with turning some off like the tv archive service? Or is the connector really even needed?

Just curious of others' opinions and thoughts.

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Try reading my actual question.

http://bit.ly/A54Hfy

• Edited by FoRealz Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:56 AM prick
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Plonk!

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Try reading my actual question.

http://bit.ly/A54Hfy

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 6:56 AM
  • It's difficult to answer "which is better" type questions in a forum environment because nobody takes the time to write the required wall of text, or the time to read it once it's been written. And "better" is very subjective anyway; better for me is not likely to be better for you.

Windows Home Server backup is faster, after the initial backup of the very first computer. Restoring a single file is quite slow with Windows Home Server, so Windows Backup probably wins on that count. Windows Home Server backup is, IMO, easier to use. 

Regarding the connector: if you want to use Windows Home Server, presumably you're buying into Microsoft's overall vision for the product. That includes media archiving and minimal user management. The services the connector installs are pretty light weight; I'd say leave them alone. And yes, you need to install the connector; without it Windows Home Server client backup won't happen.

If, however, you're the sort that wants to control every aspect of how their home computer works, you will come to hate Windows Home Server. I recommend you move on now...

And regarding the "badinage": drop it now. Both of you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken Warren Monday, January 9, 2012 12:26 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Thanks for the response Ken.

I'll keep giving it a try and see what I think.  I may just resort to uninstalling the connector and manually copy and pasting folders that are important.

For the most part I loved v1 and drive extender.  2011 isn't so bad and I may try DriveBender or Stablebit eventually.  Right now I've just got a simple Windows Mirror setup on my 2 x 2tb WD Ears drives.  That seems to be working fine.

My main computer is my gaming machine that I run fairly bare bones.  That's why I got so concerned once connector installed and several services started up.

I've tried Amahi (linux whs equivalent) but it wasn't quite there.

I am really curious to see if a WHS 2012 comes or the evolution with Windows 8 and it's drive pooling feature that has been mentioned in some posts.

I'd be curious of your thoughts on that. :)

Thanks again for the response.

-Fo

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:29 AM