Can you call to an internal IP conference phone from Communicator without enterprise voice turned on RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently install OCS Standard Edition R2 without enterprise voice truned on. I have a IP conference phone with internal IP address. My question is, Can people call in that IP conference phone with there communicator R2 and join to Audio conf. If so, please tell me how.

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:05 PM

Answers

• Hey,  sorry if my reply above wasn't 100% clear.  Calling TO or FROM anything other a communicator client will not be possible.  There is no way to make the IP phone work directly with OCS/Communicator without encorporating 3rd party hardware/software. 

In any scenario involving voice going to any other endpoint than a communicator client or phone, you will have to have some type of mediation server or gateway. 

What you're trying to do just won't work with only a standard edition server.   It will require at least an additional mediation server, IP gateway, and some type of device to control the IP phone.  Sorry I can't suggest anything else, but there isn't a way to make that work. 

Thanks!

-kp
    Kevin Peters MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+ blog: www.ocsguy.com
    • Marked as answer by mkhan100 Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:56 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:10 AM

All replies

• Calling to any number without enterprise voice (and line URI's configured) won't work (excluding MOC to MOC which doesn't utilize extensions).  If you enable EV you would still need a device in between your OCS environment  (mediation server required) and the IP phone to convert SIP to IP.  This will also require some type of device to connect the IP phone to the gateway (unless you buy a gateway that will let you manage IP endpoints).

Hope this helps!

-kp
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Kevin. I am not planning to call outside yet. therefore I don't think, I need a mediation server yet.

I just want to call internally with MOC to MOC in that IP phone ( 10.1.xxx.xxx for instance). I am sorry, I can't find the way to do this. Can you please give me step by step instructions.

much appreciate your help. 
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Hey,  sorry if my reply above wasn't 100% clear.  Calling TO or FROM anything other a communicator client will not be possible.  There is no way to make the IP phone work directly with OCS/Communicator without encorporating 3rd party hardware/software. 

In any scenario involving voice going to any other endpoint than a communicator client or phone, you will have to have some type of mediation server or gateway. 

What you're trying to do just won't work with only a standard edition server.   It will require at least an additional mediation server, IP gateway, and some type of device to control the IP phone.  Sorry I can't suggest anything else, but there isn't a way to make that work. 

Thanks!

-kp
    • Marked as answer by mkhan100 Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:56 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Thanks very much Kevin.

It is clear to me now.

I appreciate you answer

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Happy to assist, if you have other question please post.

Thanks!

-kp
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Certainly I will post my other questions. I can post those in a different forum if you advice.

I will be glad if you can assist me to complete my UC.

I have exchange 2007 and two day before I complete my OCS R2 standard installation with basics.

I guess the next steps will be to install CWA and Edge Server, enable enterprise voice. I will certainly have lots of questions on those. Do you have any advice for me how to start or where to start

Thanks again.  
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:56 AM
  • I'd say to post each question as its own thread for sure.  For enterprise voice config I actually have a series of posts on my blog that is a good overview on the design, here's part 1:
    http://ocsguy.com/2009/06/11/part-1-howd-ya-like-to-trade-in-that-old-pbx-for-a-shiny-new-ocs-environment/

I'd also highly recommend the deployment guides,  you can get most of the documentation from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E9F86F96-AA09-4DCA-9088-F64B4F01C703&displaylang=en

The edge config can be made a bit easier if you use the OCS Edge Server planning tool here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=47&p=5&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=e9f86f96-aa09-4dca-9088-f64b4f01c703&u=details.aspx%3ffamilyid%3dEC4B960C-3FE2-41BD-ABDF-AE89CFCB8C6C%26displaylang%3den

And here is a link to the general planning tool, this will help you decide what is needed for your entire environment:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=47&p=3&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=e9f86f96-aa09-4dca-9088-f64b4f01c703&u=details.aspx%3ffamilyid%3dF8CBDDD6-7608-4BBE-9246-16E96C62BEF4%26displaylang%3den

Lots of good stuff contained above.

Hope this helps!

-KP
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Thanks Kevin,

I really like your blog. Your blog is one of the best. I also recognise some other experts I come across very knowledgeable on OCS, like

• Jeff Schertz
    • sharadsharma2k5

It is very nice to have help from you guys.

Onece again, Thanks to all of you.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:38 AM