none
MapPoint 2013 Crashes after 10-15mins RRS feed

• Question

• MapPoint crashes after about 10-15 minutes working with it. Importing data from excel, managing territories, nothing consistent seems to cause it to stop responding. Below is the entire list of error codes. The system this software is on exceeds the minimum requirements Microsoft has posted.

Problem Event Name:               BEX

Application Name:                     MapPoint.exe

Application Version:                  19.0.18.1100

Application Timestamp:             4fd664bb

Fault Module Name:                  MSVCR100.dll

Fault Module Version:               10.0.40219.325

Fault Module Timestamp:          4df2be1e

Exception Offset:                      0008af3e

Exception Code:                        c0000417

Exception Data:                         00000000

OS Version:                               6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                  1033

Additional Information 1:           c2d1

Additional Information 2:           c2d1ecc6995a2ed9839385f5ff877c15

Additional Information 3:           2212

Additional Information 4:           22123a9e4eafffc9e40d33b8ae2daec1

Have tried replacing the dll file, updating and reinstalling .netframeworks and C++.

Not sure where else to troubleshoot, a ticket was opened with Microsoft already and all they ended up doing is remoting in and reinstalling MapPoint 2013. This did not resolve the issue and now I cannot get an update nor additional support.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:52 PM

All replies

• The rest of us don't get an exception like this. MapPoint 2013 has been around for nearly a year and I haven't seen a similar report, so it is unlikely that you are hitting a particular bug in the GUI.

Therefore there must be something that is different between your PC and ours.

Do you have any extensions or add-ins installed for MapPoint? If so, these would be the most likely bet.

After that, I would go for a corrupt dataset that you have created (for example, importing "bad" data from Excel or Access could conceivably create a problem although it usually prettier looking than this);  or a corrupt installation of Windows. Note that the exception is thrown by a standard MS DLL. What could corrupt your Windows? Various things, but a failing disk is one of the more likely. Do a full disk check (including surface scan) to make sure - and do that before any Windows Repair operations.

Also, do not rule out the possibility of over heating. I have no idea what type of PC you have, but this is a problem with things like laptops, souped up desktops,etc. However if you can watch an entire streaming movie okay without overheating, then you're probably fine.  (overheating also usually takes the entire machine down, although this isn't always the case)

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Thanks for some of the options. There are no installed add ins, and although corrupted windows could be a viable option, would it be plausible having 3 users experiencing identical issues? Will definitely perform the disk scan to rule out.

The possibility of the imported data being corrupt is probably higher than corrupted windows but I would need to import known, uncorrupted data of substantial size to test

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:56 PM