WHS and Vista Ultimate Drive space ISSUE :@ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I have have 3 HDDs on my WHS, a 160GB (This is the drive that WHS is installed on) a 80GB and a 160GB.
    i have added the 80GB and the 2nd 160GB drive through the console. In the server storage tab of the console, the pie chart shows Total Size: 372.63GB with free space of 272.16GB.
    I have mapped the Videos and music folders to V: and M: respectively. When i go into "Computer" it shows as only having 103GB free of 129GB.

If i fill the total 129GB i am unable to copy anymore files to the drive.
    Can anyone help. I also have screenshots if anyone needs to see what i mean.

I have done a few reinstallations, as well as bought a new HDD to do a clean install of WHS on.

Thanks in advance especially to anyone who can help sort this out.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:36 PM

Answers

• Vista only sees the free space on the D: partition, which is what your 129GB is. This is simplified, the place where files copied to the server 'land' prior to being moved to their final storage position.
    This is the reason that it's recommended to use a drive of somewhere between 350 to 500GB as your system drive. At present, you are limited to transferring files that are less than your 129GB and then having to either wait for WHS to hopefully move the files, or doing as recommended previously.
    This is exacerbated by the failure at times, of some files not being moved, which is what is referred to above. I would hope that this will be addressed at some point, now most of the major 'bugs' have been eliminated and there is time available hopefully.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:01 PM

All replies

• It is showing the free space on your D partition. As of Powerpack 1, WHS does not move data off there.
    You will need to use Theo van Elsberg's LZReallocator, available here
    http://vanelsberg.homeserver.com/public/whs/LZreallocator.zip
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Vista only sees the free space on the D: partition, which is what your 129GB is. This is simplified, the place where files copied to the server 'land' prior to being moved to their final storage position.
    This is the reason that it's recommended to use a drive of somewhere between 350 to 500GB as your system drive. At present, you are limited to transferring files that are less than your 129GB and then having to either wait for WHS to hopefully move the files, or doing as recommended previously.
    This is exacerbated by the failure at times, of some files not being moved, which is what is referred to above. I would hope that this will be addressed at some point, now most of the major 'bugs' have been eliminated and there is time available hopefully.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:01 PM