Move backups to new hardware RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

Been searching the forums for the answer but can't find what i'm looking for...

Basically like most of you i've been running RC1 on a frankenstien PC since June and have backups for 2 PC's since then. I'm going to buy a HP Mediasmart server after Xmas and would like to keep the previous backups. (I'll copy all the shared directories to an external HD)

I can't use the old drives (2x 250gb IDE) in the new system as the HP is only SATA. Is there any simple way of copying the backups form one machine to the other? One post suggested stopping the backup service?

One way I thought of was to take the 2 IDE drives out form the old server, the 2 new drives from the HP and put them all in my PC. That way i could copy all the data from the 2 old drives to the new drives (and make the system partiton on one of the new drives).

If I then put the new drives into the HP and do a reinstall straight away, do you think it would keep everything?

Cheers

JQ

Friday, December 7, 2007 12:42 PM

Answers

• There is no need to do any reinstalls.

First copy the backup files from your current WHS to another disk:

1. Run mstsc.exe to start a Remote Desktop Connection session to your home server.

2. Plug in an external hard drive to your home server (do not add it to the Server Storage through the Windows Home Server Console).

3. Open a Command Prompt, Click Start, Run and type CMD

4. Type net stop PDL.

5. Type net stop WHSBackup to stop the Windows Home Server Backup service.

6. Copy the contents of D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} to the external hard drive:.

7. Type net start WHSBackup to restart the Windows Home Server Backup service.

8. Type net start PDL.

(Copied from: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/8/0/18096C95-4850-4176-9821-970691B98AAF/Windows_Home_Server_Home_Computer_Backup.pdf)

Instead of external hdd you can also copy to other hdd in your WHS that is not part of the storage pool, or a shared folder on any other computer in your network.

After you have setup the mediasmart server, configured users, connected client stations (do not run backup) and so on, setup RDP connection to your mediasmart server and copy all of the backup files to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

To use the IDE disks in mediasmart server buy SATA to IDE converter, these will cost something like 10 - 15 $/€. 

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:21 PM

All replies

• There is no need to do any reinstalls.

First copy the backup files from your current WHS to another disk:

1. Run mstsc.exe to start a Remote Desktop Connection session to your home server.

2. Plug in an external hard drive to your home server (do not add it to the Server Storage through the Windows Home Server Console).

4. Type net stop PDL.

6. Copy the contents of D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} to the external hard drive:.

8. Type net start PDL.

(Copied from: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/8/0/18096C95-4850-4176-9821-970691B98AAF/Windows_Home_Server_Home_Computer_Backup.pdf)

Instead of external hdd you can also copy to other hdd in your WHS that is not part of the storage pool, or a shared folder on any other computer in your network.

After you have setup the mediasmart server, configured users, connected client stations (do not run backup) and so on, setup RDP connection to your mediasmart server and copy all of the backup files to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

To use the IDE disks in mediasmart server buy SATA to IDE converter, these will cost something like 10 - 15 $/€. 

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:21 PM
  • Hi

Thats great, thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Q

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:25 PM
  • There are other ways to use the old drives - they could be put in external enclosures and plugged into USB or FW ports, you can buy an IDE controller card or you can buy a IDE-SATA adapter as mentioned above.

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:26 PM
  •  I am trying to accomplish the same move to a new Hp470 server from old RC! hardware. I would like to copy backups and shared folders.

Does this procedure just move the backups and not the shared folders? 

Would the following also work?

the below was copied from

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Windows Home Server Drive Extender does nothing unique to the secondary data partitions or the files on them, which makes enables you to recover most of the lost data—even in worst-case scenarios. If the home server fails completely, all the surviving drives can be attached to a computer that is not even running Windows Home Server Drive Extender, and you can copy the files from the drives to that computer. Because the files retain their original names and paths (under the \DE directory), the files can be used with no specific recovery steps.

pg 19

Important Although this works as a disaster recovery method, moving a secondary hard drive between computers is not a recommended or supported use of Windows Home Server Drive Extender.

I'm trying to move all folders and backups. Just trying to find out what may be the easiest or simpliest way. Doe it make a difference if the old hdw was called SERVER and the new hdw is called HPSERVER?

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:14 AM
  • If you move everything "under the DE directory" this will include backup and shares.

Instead of copying the complete content of the DE directory you'ld best copy the content of the individual folders to the respective folders under D:\DE.

So Contents of ..\DE\folders\{00* goes to folder D:\DE\folders\{00* and

(Do not copy the other folder under ..\DE\Folders, it only contains a WHS registry backup of the old WHS)

content folder ..\DE\Shares\software goes to D:\DE\Shares\Software

After copying allow some time (hours to days) to balance storage
    Monday, December 10, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Thanks

I'll give it a try. 

I earlier tried adding an additional 3rd 500G disk to the old SERVER  then I unmounted the 2nd 500G that I had been using on the SERVER.

I then physically moved the 2nd drive to the HP470 and did a reinstall of the HPSERVER.  I went through all the steps per HP instructions....about 5 hours later when it finished I found that it apparently did not discover any files or folders on the 2nd drive.

Not sure what happened but it is scarry to do a reinstall that does not work.  Thankfully I added the 3rd 500G to the SERVER before I removed the 2nd 500G so I still have all the data.

There are a lot of thing that I think are terrific about WHS.  But I feel there needs to be a simplier more reliable recovery process for potential Hardware failures for the casual home user.

Was it a problem that the servers had different names?  Anybody know why the above did not work?

I am going to now try moving under the DE directory as you suggested.

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:51 PM
  •  brubber wrote:

4. Type net stop PDL.

8. Type net start PDL.

Ultimately this seemed like the simpler way I am copying to a new NTFS hardrive right now. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:10 AM
  • @JMK73:

D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} only contains client backups.

Please don't forget to copy the content of the shares!! :

Content from folder ,..\DE\Shares\software goes to D:\DE\Shares\Software, content from folder ..\DE\Shares\Music goes to D:\DE\Shares\Music and so on.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:23 AM