access shares from domain computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a computer that was just recently joined to an active domain. I still have the original user accounts on the "local" computer, and now I also use a domain user account on the computer. I would like to access the WHS shares from the domain user account on the computer - specifically my "Users" folder. Because my domain user account name isn't exactly the same as my WHS logon name, I created a new WHS user for testing purposes with the same exact logon name as my domain logon name. However, it is not logging me in automatically like I had hoped it did. When I try to access the shares manually, the password dialog box appears, and I entered the username and password of the new WHS user/domain user account (at this point the same). An error message then appears saying, "Logon Unsuccessful: The user name you typed is the same as the user name you logged in with. That user name has already been tried. A domain controller cannot be found to verify that user name."

Do you guys have any suggestion for this? Or is it possible to write a logon script that will automatically log me into WHS? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you very much,

jpearl

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:06 PM

Answers

• Rather than creating a new user which matches your domain ID, you should save credentials for your server:
    • Start → Control Panel → User Accounts
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Click Manage Passwords.
    • Click Add.
    • Type the name of your server next to Server:. Type the name of a user on your server next to User name:. Use the form <servername>\<username>.
    • Type the password for that account next to Password:.
    • Click OK, then Close, then OK.
    • Log off your computer, then back on. Test share access.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:41 PM
  • In that case, you can add a user to the home server which matches that user name and password. Really, you don't want someone having to deal with mapping a drive; you want user names and passwords to match on the client PC and the home server. It's how Windows Home Server is designed to work.

Olaf's command won't quite do what you want. Try this instead, if you decide to map a drive:

net use * \\servername\sharename password /USER:servername\username /PERSISTENT:NO

The asterisk says to use the next available drive letter; pick a specific drive that the user doesn't already have if you prefer. Servername is the name of your server, sharename is the name of a share the user has access to. Password is the user's password on the server, and username is the user's username on the server. The last bit means that the share won't be "persistent" i.e. it won't automatically be recreated the next time the user logs in to their computer (that won't work in your environment; the user would be prompted for credentials). Put that in a batch file, and put the batch file in the user's startup group. That way the user will automatically be connected when they log in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by jpearl Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:14 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:27 AM

All replies

• Rather than creating a new user which matches your domain ID, you should save credentials for your server:
    • Start → Control Panel → User Accounts
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Click Manage Passwords.
    • Click Add.
    • Type the name of your server next to Server:. Type the name of a user on your server next to User name:. Use the form <servername>\<username>.
    • Type the password for that account next to Password:.
    • Click OK, then Close, then OK.
    • Log off your computer, then back on. Test share access.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

try the following:

Remove the domain user account from the WHS console.

After that on the laptop with the domain user account logged in goto Control Panel and follow the procedure described in 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306992/en-us

"How to manage stored user names and passwords on a computer in a domain in Windows XP"

Or do you have Vista? (You did not mention your OS, but this is similar there.)

Use the name your local profile already has here.

This should give you the access to the shares you need.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:42 PM
  • And Ken comes through yet again!!

Thank you guys SOO much. You just saved me hours!! I really do appreciate it.

jpearl

Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Hey guys,
    So about 1 month later, and this trick is working perfectly!

However, I tried to apply this same technique to another computer (Vista Home Premium), but it didnt work becuase the radio button for "A Windows logon credential" was greyed out. Is there any other way to fix this?

Thanks
    jpearl
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Hello,
    the home editions of Windows are not able to store credentials.
    You could create a script to map a network drive, with a syntax like
    net use x: \\server\shares password /user:server\username
    x:

store this with extension .cmd on desktop and try it out.
    Just can't test in detail, because I am on trip.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 10, 2008 12:22 PM
  • A Vista home Premium computer is not going to be joined to a domain. This workaround is only needed if you're logging in to the computer using an ID that doesn't exist on your server; for a non-domain PC you should just match up the user on the computer with a user on the server. There are instructions for changing a user's logon name in the FAQ section, I believe.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Yes, you're correct: the home premium is not joined to a domain. the home premium is already set up for a family member with a username/pw combo, that i really would prefer not to change and confuse the person with. Therefore, i figured that this way would work without seeing any font end changes.

I'll try the cmd file. It should work for what I want to do. it would be nicer if i didnt have to map the drive in order to log in, but it'll do.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 10:24 PM
  • In that case, you can add a user to the home server which matches that user name and password. Really, you don't want someone having to deal with mapping a drive; you want user names and passwords to match on the client PC and the home server. It's how Windows Home Server is designed to work.

Olaf's command won't quite do what you want. Try this instead, if you decide to map a drive:

net use * \\servername\sharename password /USER:servername\username /PERSISTENT:NO

The asterisk says to use the next available drive letter; pick a specific drive that the user doesn't already have if you prefer. Servername is the name of your server, sharename is the name of a share the user has access to. Password is the user's password on the server, and username is the user's username on the server. The last bit means that the share won't be "persistent" i.e. it won't automatically be recreated the next time the user logs in to their computer (that won't work in your environment; the user would be prompted for credentials). Put that in a batch file, and put the batch file in the user's startup group. That way the user will automatically be connected when they log in.

• Marked as answer by jpearl Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:14 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:27 AM
  • thanks!!
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:15 PM