Netgear EVA 700 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect my netgear eva 700 digital entertainer to my WHS server. This is a digital streaming device.  I had this working from a windows xp machine.  I had to install a windows xp program that would search for network devices.

It doesn't seem to work yet.  I enabled sharing on the WHS server?

Is there a network device connect utility?  Will WHS work with a device like this?  There must be a way?

I should have just waited for the system to find the WHS server,  The EVA700 finally started seeing the shares and works fine !!!!

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:56 AM

Answers

• How many hard drives are in your WHS machine. There seems to be a bug here that Windows Media Connect on the WHS doesn't work properly when you have any of your shared folders enabled for duplication.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:22 PM
  • I went to the EVA700 page and tried to look up information on the product.  I am not sure what Media Connect version  it needs but you need to turn Media Streaming on in the Windows Home Server Console.  That should share your media.  If the EVA700 uses Media Connect 3, then it may not work.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:42 AM

All replies

• COMMENT: What was the EXACT reason that made your EVA700 work fine?

I have the same device connected via a NETGEAR router (WG120) through a wireless network with my WHS.

The EVA700 discovers the WHS properly. In case I want to open a shared folder, the device needs about 2 minutes (timout?) to show the following message:

"An error occured while opening the folder. Please try again" (message is in german - that's what I was able to translate)

A connection through the same network to a winxp mashine with Windows Media Connect works (laggy) fine.

Router and EVA700 are up to date in case of their firmware. (EVA700 has not an update yet)

Firewall settings couldn't be the reasons for this and the library sharing on my WHS is switched on (three folders - Videos, Music, Pictures)

I think this is a bug in the Server software or did I forgot to configure some things on the WHS mashine?

Do I have to enable the sharing to a specified device like in Windows media connect (winxp)?

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:24 AM
  • How many hard drives are in your WHS machine. There seems to be a bug here that Windows Media Connect on the WHS doesn't work properly when you have any of your shared folders enabled for duplication.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:22 PM
  • There are two physical harddrives in the mashine, but they are bundled to a single drive via hardware RAID 1 (Mirror).
    I guess with only one viewable harddrive in the WHS the folder dublication is switched off.

i: The link "here" in your Post does not really work.

Thanks anyway for your quick help.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Strange, clicking on the link works here!

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=263541

Here's the full link to copy and paste.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:15 PM
  • really strange... this link doesn't work at different locations. I tried to connect to the link from different internet connections.

Perhaps it's a permission problem.

In my opinion it doesn't matter, because I don't have the folder duplication turned on.

I think I'll go on testing and experiment on that issue and I'll post as soon as I found out further details.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:40 AM
  • I went to the EVA700 page and tried to look up information on the product.  I am not sure what Media Connect version  it needs but you need to turn Media Streaming on in the Windows Home Server Console.  That should share your media.  If the EVA700 uses Media Connect 3, then it may not work.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:42 AM
  • Vista support is listed as "under development" on the Netgear site, so I would assume Media Connect 1.0 or 2.0 is what's required. It ships with a version of Media connect on CD, BTW.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 11:44 AM