Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade activation problems RRS feed

• Question

• I bought the above mentioned upgrade.  However I reformatted my hard drive because I wanted to get rid of a bunch of junk.  It didn't occur to me that without my copy of Vista that I wouldn't be able to activate my product because I an upgrade without a previous version on my computer.  I have followed all of MS on-line suggestions but they don't work.  Of course I cannot get a live body to talk or chat with.  Is there a way to activate my software without re-installing Vista?

thanks for any help. 

Linda Anne

ps I installed Windows 7 in July, 2011.  I had trouble activating but somehow I activated it or thought I did.  Then yesterday (11/1/11) I received on screen a notice that my copy of Windows maybe invalid, screen went black but my icons remained.  I have been trying to activate with no success
    • Edited by Linda Anne Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:16 PM

Answers

• "Linda Anne" wrote in message news:e73f2f18-c881-4c67-bb2b-19abe3bd62b3...

I bought the above mentioned upgrade.  However I reformatted my hard drive because I wanted to get rid of a bunch of junk.  It didn't occur to me that without my copy of Vista that I wouldn't be able to activate my product because I an upgrade without a previous version on my computer.  I have followed all of MS on-line suggestions but they don't work.  Of course I cannot get a live body to talk or chat with.  Is there a way to activate my software without re-installing Vista?

thanks for any help.

Linda Anne

2 ways to do it
    1) Telephone activation – make sure that you talk to an operator by NOT responding to the automated routine – this should force an operator to pick up
    2) ASSUMING that (as you say) you have a valid license for a qualifying OS – use the double-install method here....

Good luck

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Noel

Suggestion #1 worked.  Got a live body, explained my situation and got my product activated.  Yeah. 

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:54 PM

All replies

• "Linda Anne" wrote in message news:e73f2f18-c881-4c67-bb2b-19abe3bd62b3...

I bought the above mentioned upgrade.  However I reformatted my hard drive because I wanted to get rid of a bunch of junk.  It didn't occur to me that without my copy of Vista that I wouldn't be able to activate my product because I an upgrade without a previous version on my computer.  I have followed all of MS on-line suggestions but they don't work.  Of course I cannot get a live body to talk or chat with.  Is there a way to activate my software without re-installing Vista?

thanks for any help.

Linda Anne

2 ways to do it
    1) Telephone activation – make sure that you talk to an operator by NOT responding to the automated routine – this should force an operator to pick up
    2) ASSUMING that (as you say) you have a valid license for a qualifying OS – use the double-install method here....

Good luck

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Noel

Suggestion #1 worked.  Got a live body, explained my situation and got my product activated.  Yeah. 

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:54 PM
  • "Linda Anne" wrote in message news:899ef410-e1cf-4cbf-bc6a-e1af5bbc7f8f...

Thanks Noel

Glad to hear it – thanks for coming back to let us know.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:03 PM