Error adding new user account setting access to shared folders fails RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add new users to WHS and I am getting a big red x for setting access to shared folders.  I have tried deleting and recreating the account several times and get the same error each time.  If I cancel, the account gets created but the shared folder permissions are not correct.  If I try changing the shared folders under the user properties, I get an error message that says "cannot save changes for the person xxxxx".

I have checked the event viewer and there is nothing out of the ordinary.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:54 AM

Answers

• The only supported way to maintain permissions on your server is through the Windows Home Server console application. You should never attempt to modify permissions directly on folders or share using a Remote Desktop connection to your server; doing so is unsupported and can result in a variety of file access issues. In extreme cases you can wind up needing to perform a server reinstallation to correct the issues. The best advise I can give you is to create a new share, put a couple of files in it, examine how Winodws Home Server maintains permissions and file ownership, and attempt to reset your other shares so taht they work the same way. Failing that, server reinstallation is likely to be your best bet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:10 PM

All replies

• I am trying to add new users to WHS and I am getting a big red x for setting access to shared folders.  I have tried deleting and recreating the account several times and get the same error each time.  If I cancel, the account gets created but the shared folder permissions are not correct.  If I try changing the shared folders under the user properties, I get an error message that says "cannot save changes for the person xxxxx".

I have checked the event viewer and there is nothing out of the ordinary.

Is it for all shares or just certain ones?  What if you create a new share, then try changing the permissions on that (both for a new user and a current user)?  Can you logon to the server desktop, go to D:\shares, choose a share that isn't working, then right click on it, select Properties, then the Security tab, and post the results (or a link to a pic of it) here?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  This happens for all shares.  I have tried adding new shares but I cannot change access rights to them.

I only had 1 user set up with no problem.  All other users I try setting access to, errors out.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:36 PM
  • How are you creating the users? Please be specific as to the steps you are following, what happens at each point, and where the errors you're seeing occur.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:40 PM
  • I have recently discovered the same problem.  I have two computers on my network and recently added a third.  The permissions for the third account were randomly assigned (I set the permissions when I created the account through the console, but WHS actually gave it different permissions).  Even if I RDP into WHS and open the console, when I attempt to change the permissions (for the new account as well as the old accounts) I get the above message ("cannot save changes for the person xxxx").  This happens regardless of who I log in under (if I log in as my named user account, not the administrator, it will not let me change the permissions for that account).

I have attempted to RDP in to WHS, open the D:\shares folder and set permissions manually from the security tab for each folder.  Two results happen.  (1) even though I add the permission and click full access, when I test it on the new computer I do not have access.  (2) if I reboot my WHS after making the permission change, even though it doesn't work, the permission change disappears under the security tab.  Like I never made the change do begin with.

Does that make any sense?  It is frustrating because not only can I not add permissions, but I cannot take any away (I would like to take some away from the guest account, but it won't let me).  I must say that I am baffled that it would ever tell the administrator that it cannot alter permissions.

Any help/ideas are appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:32 PM
  • The only supported way to maintain permissions on your server is through the Windows Home Server console application. You should never attempt to modify permissions directly on folders or share using a Remote Desktop connection to your server; doing so is unsupported and can result in a variety of file access issues. In extreme cases you can wind up needing to perform a server reinstallation to correct the issues. The best advise I can give you is to create a new share, put a couple of files in it, examine how Winodws Home Server maintains permissions and file ownership, and attempt to reset your other shares so taht they work the same way. Failing that, server reinstallation is likely to be your best bet.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:10 PM
  • I have the same problem on my WHS. I have 2 accounts that i made when i first installed the server the sometime later I had to add a user "karlh"and I got this red X "this operation cannot be completed at this time. please try again later."

the your only option is to cancel but the user you just tried to make did get created and you can use is to sign in to the server "if you granted that access to in wizard” and then if you want to edit that user you get another error message "cannot save changes for the person karlh"

in a respons to"Ken Warren" I have not played with anything out of the WHS consule it just happen
    Friday, September 18, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Exact same problem happens over here. Does anyone have an answer already? Weird thing is that if you create shares or change permissions throught the shares, it works. Changing permissions to shares though a particular user, it fails.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:07 PM
  • I have the same problem, exactly.  Everything worked fine for a couple of days, now I continuously get the same error messages as described above.   Whether I try to add a new user or update the access of an existing user.   Anyone with ideas on how to resolve?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I have the same problem, exactly.  Everything worked fine for a couple of days, now I continuously get the same error messages as described above.   Whether I try to add a new user or update the access of an existing user.   Anyone with ideas on how to resolve?
    The only supported method is to do a Server Reinstallation.

Are you using the Console to set the permissions?  Have you ever changed the permissions any other way other than through the Console?  If you right click on a share, select Properties, then the Security tab, what does it show? 
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:51 PM

• I have only changed the permissions through console.   Interestingly, that particular problem seems to have cleared itself.  Clicking the properties tab for a shared folder led  to the problem, but if I double clicked on the shared folder itself, I was able to make changes.  Go figure.   Now it seems to work either way, double click or highlight then click properties.   By the way, when I right click on a share and select Properties, there are only 2 tabs:  General and User Access.   I don't see a security tab, should I?

New, related problem, I think.   In trying to correct my previous problem, I deleted the Mac share I had created so that I could recreate with the right user access settings.  Now, I can not create a new share with that same (once used) name of "Mac".  On the "adding the shared folder" window, I get the big red X next to the "Adding the shared folder" step.   I was able to create a share that I call "temp", delete it and recreate it with no problems, but not the Mac folder.   Also did create a Mac1 and tried to rename that share back to Mac, it also failed.   I get a message that says "The shared folder was not renamed because it is being used by one or more users.  Try to reuse the folder again when it is not being used."   It will let me rename that share to anything but "Mac" it seems.   Also tried renaming a "temp" share to Mac, same problem.   So, the share name "Mac" seems to be locked since I had used it briefly for Apple Time Machine backups prior to deleting.

This seems related to my initial problem above.  Any suggestions on how to clear this share name so I can set it again for Apple backups?   Thanks for the help!

Monday, November 16, 2009 1:49 PM
  • I have the same problem on my WHS. I have 2 accounts that i made when i first installed the server the sometime later I had to add a user "karlh"and I got this red X "this operation cannot be completed at this time. please try again later."

the your only option is to cancel but the user you just tried to make did get created and you can use is to sign in to the server "if you granted that access to in wizard” and then if you want to edit that user you get another error message "cannot save changes for the person karlh"

in a respons to"Ken Warren" I have not played with anything out of the WHS consule it just happen
    Did anyone ever find a solution to this, short of rebuilding the server?  I've pulled my hair out over this issue, and I have only accessed the server through WHS console only.  Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 1:19 PM
  • I have the exact same problem.  It is completely frustrating, and it would be nice if someone would give an answer here.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:23 PM
  • I have a fixed mine by reinstall the home server software and not adding all of the addins I had before I belive that it is some of the addins there is the problem not the homeserver it self if you do need all your addins you can try reinstalling the home server software and the addins one by one and try make a user after each addin you add (make sure that you home server is full updated from MS before adding any addins)

if everybody there has this problem will get back with the addins they have installed in their homeserver maybe we can find the addin that is causing the problem.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Yes I am another sufferer of this - and it really is souring my taste of WHS.

IF if helps - for me the first time this error happened was the first time I installed the  client software on a wireless PC - not sure if any relevance

I also do admit I did install a bunch of add-ins.

After a lot of cursing I did a server reinstall (on my Asus WHS box) which kills the accounts but keeps the shares - that did not help - and I got the error on the very first client I installed about the reinstall.

Now I need to do a factory reset - and start from scratch (then restore my 6 TB of data)

I can't believe such a serious bug has not been addressed by MS.

Good luck to me I will update after my reinstall - ugg (yes I wrote down what I home is every setting - cause I don't want to have to remap my drives)

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:12 PM
  • I solved the same problem on my WHS. This is how I did it.

I changed user access on every shared folder in the console. The ones that produce an error are corrupt and need to be removed (backup your data!) and re-created. After that, the problem was solved!

• Proposed as answer by JohnKF Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:40 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:05 AM
  • I'm also having issues with changing share permissions. On one laptop I log in as 'owner' and on a desktop as 'sander'. I want to give user 'owner' full access to the home directory for 'sander'. Can't do it. I created a folder 'downloads' to be writable to everyone. Can't give everyone access. In desperation I've modified folder permissions using RD (yeah yeah, not supported but I wouldn't need to do this if things simply worked) and this would make things work for a while. Then some process looks at the 'desired' configuration and removes the permissions I added. So it looks like WHS maintains a config database and uses this to show the config to the user rather than mining the actual underlying server for config information. Bummer. I bought this Acer box hoping for a more painless experience with this server in my Windows home environment. Luckily I was also prepared to put FreeNAS or some other linux NAS package on the hardware instead because this really isn't cool. WHS has some really cool features but if the absolute basics like folder permissions don't work then what does that say for the rest of the product? Well that and the fact it trashed a perfectly good eSATA drive so badly I had to reformat and resort to USB connectivity only. But I digress.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:22 PM
  • I thought I had things resolved by doing the following:

- create a new folder with all permissions set correctly at creation time

- move all files from the old to the new folder using explorer in remote desktop (didn't feel like copying all those Gigs over the netowork)

This did not work. I can only create files in the root (\\server\downloads) and not in sub folders. I suppose folder permissions were retained from the old folder.

What a pain. This stuff should just work.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:36 PM
  • I have exactly the some problem.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Not only should it just work, but if it doesn't it should tell you why, and tell you how to fix it.

I wish someone from MS could provide some useful advice here, or a tool to fix it.

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:07 AM
  • I solved the same problem on my WHS. This is how I did it.

I changed user access on every shared folder in the console. The ones that produce an error are corrupt and need to be removed (backup your data!) and re-created. After that, the problem was solved!

I had the same problem and Bob's solution worked fine. Thanks Bob.

After deleting the problem folder from the WHS Console I could not create another of the same name. This was due to the original folder being left on the D drive. That folder could not be removed via Windows Explorer; neither could it's Properties be viewed. I'll wait to see if the scheduled disc check clears it up or fixes it.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Bob, your anser was what worked out for me in both Windows Home Server and Windows Storage Server! Thanks!
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:58 AM