validation trouble RRS feed

• Question

• ok, im not the smartest with computers, but i am definitely having trouble right now.
    I started college last fall and since I couldnt afford a brand new computer myself, I had a friend build me one, and it's been nothing but trouble since.
    He installed what I thought was a valid XP home edition, but i think i just found out its some blocked key or something.
    so my parents sent me their home edition xp disc so that i could install that one. but when i go to the update key part it says this new key is not valid either.
    i need to fix this problem and im at a loss for what else to do, because at this point i basically feel like i want to throw this computer off my 3rd floor balcony.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi wnkoski,

First off, you are correct, your friend installed Windows XP Pro using a Volume License Key (VLK) that was block by Microsoft.  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.
      As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Since the version of XP on your computer is XP Pro and the version of XP that your parents sent you is XP Home, the XP Home key will not work on XP Pro.

The only way to use the Key that came with your parent's XP Home is to Clean Install XP Home on your computer. The following link is to a good How To on how to do a clean install http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html (NOTE: Before you proceed with the clean install, make sure you have saved all your importent files off that computer...on a CD, flash stick, so on)

If you don't feel confortable doing the install yourself, I'm sure there is someone at your school that can help (That's what Computer Science Majors are for, right ) Just make sure he/she installs Windows XP Home from your Parent's disk using the proper Product Key, otherwise you may be back in the same situation.

Hope this helped!

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:30 AM

All replies

• Wnkoski,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-X3WD7-FFKPF-P3JHD
    Windows Product Key Hash: TnIoXZQVO+gkOzfrFIHQmoJM9kQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-643-8883816-23448
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {CE79E234-AC8E-4094-AF94-E019D3AAD622}
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{CE79E234-AC8E-4094-AF94-E019D3AAD622}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P3JHD</PKey><PID>55274-643-8883816-23448</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1292428093-1659004503-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>AWARD_</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040831000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>438F375F0184A05F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I have no idea what is on my computer now.

but regarding the new xp disc my parents have sent me it is:

1. Home Edition, Version 2002

2. I'm not seeing OEM anywhere, like I said, I had this computer built for me, so it is no specific manufacturer.

I also don't have the original product key that the builder put into my computer, but I do have this one from my parents that I am assuming is valid.

Monday, April 16, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Hi wnkoski,

First off, you are correct, your friend installed Windows XP Pro using a Volume License Key (VLK) that was block by Microsoft.  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.
      As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Since the version of XP on your computer is XP Pro and the version of XP that your parents sent you is XP Home, the XP Home key will not work on XP Pro.

The only way to use the Key that came with your parent's XP Home is to Clean Install XP Home on your computer. The following link is to a good How To on how to do a clean install http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html (NOTE: Before you proceed with the clean install, make sure you have saved all your importent files off that computer...on a CD, flash stick, so on)

If you don't feel confortable doing the install yourself, I'm sure there is someone at your school that can help (That's what Computer Science Majors are for, right ) Just make sure he/she installs Windows XP Home from your Parent's disk using the proper Product Key, otherwise you may be back in the same situation.

Hope this helped!

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:30 AM
  • Wnkoski,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade only licenses and cannot be used as the original license for the computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Since the computer was purchased/built without any genuine Windows materials (a genuine CD, Certificate of Authenticity, booklet, etc.), the computer does not have a license to run any version or edition of Windows.

You cannot use the CD and product key that came with your parents computer.  If you do so, you will invalidate the installation of XP on their home computer, and instead of fixing the problem you will just move the problem from your computer to their home computer.

In order to Get Genuine, please visit a trusted local or online store and purchase a Genuine copy of Windows, or consider participating in the Genuine Windows Offer by clicking on the WGA star icon and following the prompts to order a WGA Kit directly from Microsoft.  Also, many colleges and universities have agreements with Microsoft that extend significant discounts on Microsoft Windows and other software to enrolled students; sometimes the software is free.  Please check with your university technology services department and/or bookstore to see what arrangement your school has for discounted or free software.

You may also consider installing a free operating system:  http://www.freeos.com/

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:37 AM