Windows Product Key Update Tool Error 0x80004005 RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a genuine product key, and when I try to run the Windows Product Key Update Tool, I get a failure message that reads:

The application has encountered an error while downloading required files from Microsoft.  Please ensure the machine is connected to the Internet and try again.  [Error: 0x80004005]

My computer IS connected to the Internet and I have tried again, but I keep getting this message anyway.  This occurs after the system scan seems to run smoothly, but when downloading required files this pops up.

So do I have to wait for the kit to arrive in the mail to validate my copy of Windows or what?  Also, will I be required to re-install Windows completely, and thus have to re-install all of my other software in the process?

HELP!!!

Saturday, December 16, 2006 5:27 AM

Answers

• You can definitely write your documents and data files to CD.

One recommendation is to do a repair installation with the genuine CD media, but this is only a temporary fix and (as always) we suggest a clean formatted installation.

Backing up *applications* really depends on the application itself - and you should check with the software manufacturer on correct backup and reinstallation procedures.

-phil

Monday, December 18, 2006 5:26 AM

All replies

• Perform a "clean boot", then try using the KeyUpdateTool.exe file again.

How to perform a "Clean Boot" of Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

Saturday, December 16, 2006 11:04 AM
  • dtwgu:

Are you behind a firewall or have any proxy connections running? This may be causing your error.

It is always recommended to do a clean installation from the genuine Windows CD media we provide - much of our research has found that pirated copies of WIndows (XP Pro/Home both) have viruses, trojans, etc, attached to them.

-phil

Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:23 AM
  • If I run a clean installation, won't that completely reformat and erase my hard drive?  I have several software programs on it right now for which I no longer have the original CDs, and I do not want to lose these programs.  Is there a way in which I can backup software applications in addition to data files and documents before I do a clean install?
    Sunday, December 17, 2006 7:44 AM
  • You can definitely write your documents and data files to CD.

One recommendation is to do a repair installation with the genuine CD media, but this is only a temporary fix and (as always) we suggest a clean formatted installation.

Backing up *applications* really depends on the application itself - and you should check with the software manufacturer on correct backup and reinstallation procedures.

-phil

Monday, December 18, 2006 5:26 AM