Windows Defender is missing (Home Server 2011) RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Defender is missing from the list of programs available and is grey (missing) in the control panel.  Windows defender will not update with automatic update.  I do find a sub-directory for Windows Defender in the C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mesh directory, however.  All of these files are dated back in 2009 (before WHS 2011 - I didn't participate in the beta program and had been running WHS vrsion 1) except MsMpCom.dll which is dated 3/2/2011.  I would like to install Windows Defender, but the download will not install because it reports that WHS 2011 already has that functionality.  How do I get Windows Defender to install and run?  (I have the program disks for WHS 2011.)

Ronald W Lyster

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you have a bad installation. Have you ever tried installing any other security software directly on the Server. It might be best to start again with a new server installation or a server recovery from a time when (if it ever was) working.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:54 PM
  • The installation has been in place since shortly after WHS 2011 was released.  Other than this, it has been operating fairly well; this issue just started a couple months back.  I did try to install Security Essentials, but it won't install.  Maybe the easiest thing would be to find a third-party solution and just install that?  

Ronald W Lyster

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Probably easier said than done!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Because it's not easy to find AV software for WHS 2011?

Ronald W Lyster

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Well, Windows Defender is Anti-Spyware but lack of available software was the basis if my statement.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:03 PM