WHS and new motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• Right I have my windows home server up and running on a old celeron 1.7GHZ Skt 478 motherboard and 512mb ram, I am want to know that if I buy a new 478 motherboard and a 1GB memory stick, will I have to re-install the server again or will I be able to just simply move it fom one machine to the next?
    HMG
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:07 PM

Answers

• It's hard to say for sure. If the motherboards are hardware-compatible, you may not need to do anything except swap the parts (and possibly reactivate). If not, your server will likely bluescreen when you boot it. In that case, the supported option is a server reinstallation. Unsupported options would things like manually replacing the pardware abstraction layer for your server (HAL.DLL). 

I don't recommend the unsupported option, to be honest...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Server reinstallation is a special installation mode which you can use if your OS becomes corrupted (perhaps due to a bad add-in or a random cosmic ray) or your system disk fails. A (sketchy) description of the process is found here.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:24 PM

All replies

• It's hard to say for sure. If the motherboards are hardware-compatible, you may not need to do anything except swap the parts (and possibly reactivate). If not, your server will likely bluescreen when you boot it. In that case, the supported option is a server reinstallation. Unsupported options would things like manually replacing the pardware abstraction layer for your server (HAL.DLL). 

I don't recommend the unsupported option, to be honest...

Monday, June 22, 2009 4:30 PM
  • So that means if I get the blue screen I just need to re-install the server OS or the whole thing?
    HMG
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Server reinstallation is a special installation mode which you can use if your OS becomes corrupted (perhaps due to a bad add-in or a random cosmic ray) or your system disk fails. A (sketchy) description of the process is found here.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:24 PM