What if I don't want Explorer 8? RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot install Explorer 8 because it is incompatible with Digidesign ProTools, which I use for work.  As a result, I have a continuously "fair" rating.  I have to periodically check to make sure there isn't anything else wrong, and even go to the updates website to make sure there aren't updates I'm missing.

Isn't there a way to tell Microsoft or OneCare that I don't want Explorer 8, and to stop warning me about it?  (I seem to recall that once upon a time, on update one was able to check a box to the effect of "don't ask me about this one again," or "hide updates that I have turned down," or somesuch.  I can't find anything like that now.) 

I also noticed that on my Windows XP machines I seemed to be unable to install specific updates without installing Explorer 8.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:38 PM

Answers

• As long as IE8 is offered as an important or critical update via Windows Update and it is not installed on your PC, your OneCare status will be Fair.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:57 AM

All replies