Unable to copy files to Home Server share due to long file path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to transfer a heap of data from an external USB HD to a Home Server share. What I did was to plugin the external HD into the HS and login with Remote Desktop (unsupported I know, but much faster than copying over the network especially when about 600GB is involved). Once logged into HS with Remote Desktop, I open Explorer and dragged my files from the external HD into a Home Server share. During the file copy process I received the error

"Cannot remove folder .........: The filename or extension is too long."

I think I understand why this is happening- I beleive Windows filepaths are limited to 255 characters and the shared folders are already under some other subfolders.

So my question is, how can I copy these long filepath files and folders into a share? Is my only option to go through all my data on the external HD and find the files that have long filepaths and reduce them?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:20 PM

All replies

• I just tried to delete the incomplete set of files that were copied to the share but unable to delete them all as I get an error:

"Cannot delete .....: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

:-(
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I rebooted HS and was then able to delete the files. I am now going to try mapping one of the share to a network drive (while connected with Remote Desktop) and copy the files into there and see if that works.

Can anybody clarify what the maximum file path length is with Home Server?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:48 PM
  • foo_ said:

I rebooted HS and was then able to delete the files. I am now going to try mapping one of the share to a network drive (while connected with Remote Desktop) and copy the files into there and see if that works.

Can anybody clarify what the maximum file path length is with Home Server?

Here's the KB that addresses the problem. The maximum path for NTFS is 256.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:15 AM
  • Hi Lara,
    that is not totally true, since 3rd party applications can create deeper structures, and even Explorer can, if you access a deep folder via a share name.
    Its a long overdue for change limitation of Windows Explorer (and maybe other Windows components), but not of NTFS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:25 AM