Delete PC from Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I backed up a PC that no longer exist.  How do I delete the back-up and the PC from the back-up list?
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:12 PM

Answers

• Ahh, from the sounds of it you are running the beta 2 version (build 1371) and the computer deleting functionality didn’t exist until the CTP.

You *can* remove the PC’s via a registry hack in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients key... however I’d advice against that and instead suggest moving to the CTP instead.

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:39 AM

All replies

• Run the Windows Home Server Console (either on the server on a client machine), and from the Computers & Backups tab you can simply click on the computer to be deleted, press the Remove Computer button on the toolbar (or right click on the computer and choose Remove Computer), check the “I am sure I want to remove this computer” check box and press remove.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Hi - thanks for the suggestion.  Here is more detail.

The old PC is greyed out in the Console Computers & Backup list.  There is no "Remove Computer" button in my Console.  If I right mouse click or select items on the bar below is what happens:

View Backups - I get the dialog and can do any of the funcitons in terms of viewing the files and changing between backup retention choices.  There isn't a delete option here.

Backup Now - I get the message:

""computer name" cannot be contacted.  Make sure the computer is on and connected to the network and try again."

Configure Backup - same as above

Turn off Backup (available right mouse click only) - same as above

Highlight row and hit Delete.  Nothing happens.

Thanks for the help
    Monday, May 7, 2007 1:36 AM
  • Ahh, from the sounds of it you are running the beta 2 version (build 1371) and the computer deleting functionality didn’t exist until the CTP.

You *can* remove the PC’s via a registry hack in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients key... however I’d advice against that and instead suggest moving to the CTP instead.

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:39 AM
  • Yes Beta 2 - sorry I didn't give that detail.   Sometime in the next weeks I'll move to CTP.  Thanks for the answer.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:59 AM