Computer died: need to transfer Office and validate RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop died and I have bought a new one. I have Office 2003 Student Edition which I need to use on the new machine but Windows says I can't validate it more times. Surely if the last install is now effectively cancelled I should be able to reinstall this product in my new machine. Can anyone help with a way to do this. I want it to be legitimate, I'm not trying to pirate the app.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hello eldeedee,

If the Office license you want to transfer is an OEM license, the End User Licensing Agreement does not permit moving an OEM license from the computer onto which it was first installed.  OEM licenses live and die with the computer onto which they are first installed.

If the Office license is a full retail license, the EULA permits moving the license from one computer to another.  If you receive an error about the license being activated too many times, please choose the option in the Office Activation Wizard to activate telephonically.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:36 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hello eldeedee,

If the Office license you want to transfer is an OEM license, the End User Licensing Agreement does not permit moving an OEM license from the computer onto which it was first installed.  OEM licenses live and die with the computer onto which they are first installed.

If the Office license is a full retail license, the EULA permits moving the license from one computer to another.  If you receive an error about the license being activated too many times, please choose the option in the Office Activation Wizard to activate telephonically.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:36 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Thanks Dan. It's a retail Student version that says it can be used on 3 machines in the same household. It was on our desktop and 2 laptops. Now one laptop has died -really dead! -  so in effect it's just on the d/t and one l/t. Telephone activation just says that it can't be activated any more times and doesn't give the option to talk to a human being to see if the 'released' one can be cancelled out to be used again. It may be that we were just trying to call outside of office hours. We'll try again in normal hours. Would you think this is likely to be possible?
    • Edited by eldeedee Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:00 PM extra info
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:53 PM
  • Hello Eldeedee,

You may be calling outside of call center hours, yes.  In addition, if the Phone Prompt doesn't give you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, don't enter any information to the Phone Prompt, that should force it to transfer you to a Rep.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Thanks Darin but we tried that, I just get cut off. Nothing happens. I'm on the point of giving this one up and getting another newer version.
    Of couse I could download the 2010 beta and use it until October 31st! At that point it will probably be possible to pick up 2007 pretty cheaply.
    Or there's always the ever-improving Open Office! :o)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Hello eldeedee,

What number are you calling?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Hi Dan,
    Not sure if you had realised I am in the UK. It's a toll-free number, 0800 something, I don't have it right to hand at the moment.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Hi eldeedee - I am in exactly the situation you describe and in the UK - I wondered whether you managed to sort out your problem or did you simply opt for another solution.  The 0800 number didn't even seem to know Home & Student has 3 licences because when it asked me how many machines it was installed on and I said 2 it said I had too many installations and shut me down

Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Hi!

Yes, we did get round this eventually. As it happens, it was simple. Just go to the same telephone number but when it asks how many times you've installed, say 1. OK, it may sound incorrect but you know you're right, that you're not trying it on so to speak, and it works - or at any rate, it did for us.

Good luck!

Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:22 PM