"...service or driver failed during system startup...." RRS feed

• Question

• I have my sytem running and all seems to be well but I get the following message on the monitor attached to my WHS system.

It is an informational message which has the yellow triangular exclamation icon and the dialog box is titled "Service Control Manager". The text of the message is " At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use event viewer to examine the event log for details."

I have looked at the event log and there was nothing I could identify with the message. The reason I want to understand this is that I haven't started using WHS much yet and I want to be sure that I won't run into some problem that I could have been aware of if I trouble shoot this message to resolution/understanding.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:45 PM

All replies

• Have you tried to open the Home Server Console directly on the WHS system.  I have usually got a more detailed error message about the failing service then. (as long as the failing service relates to the taskes preformed by the console)
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Yes, I looked at the event viewer while directly logged onto to the WHS. Still, there was nothing that helped me understand why the message was showing up.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 11:48 PM
  • I have the same error in WHS OEM, did a fresh new install and it has not made a difference. However this is my 4th fresh istall and it did not happen before.

It did not happen on the initial boot into WHS. But I then had to install my Ethernet card drvier and now it happens. But the ethernet card is working fine.

I wonder if there is a way to disable the message.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 12:51 PM
  •  foaf wrote:

I have the same error in WHS OEM, did a fresh new install and it has not made a difference. However this is my 4th fresh istall and it did not happen before.

It did not happen on the initial boot into WHS. But I then had to install my Ethernet card drvier and now it happens. But the ethernet card is working fine.

I wonder if there is a way to disable the message.

I get this error message and it is new with my OEM install, I've been running WHS since beta 2.  In the event log I find:

Application popup: Service Control Manager : At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.

and

The COM sub system is suppressing duplicate event log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. The suppression timeout can be controlled by a REG_DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDuration under the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole\EventLog.

I'm a little hesitant to regedit the server and besides there SEEM to be no other symptoms.  Everything seems to be working fine now so I haven't worried too much about it.  I have a feeling (no good reason for it) that it is the video card drivers.  I plan on changing the video card to see what happens.  The part that concerns me most about it is it ONLY shows up on the server's local display not when I remote into the server, so if I were running headless I'd never see it.

I would NOT try to disable the error message, it reminds me there may be a problem I need to sort out when time permits.  I know I haven't helped you with your problem; but now you know someone sees the same error message at least.

Monday, November 5, 2007 8:46 AM