new server questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have just bought a new dell server for whs.

here are the specs for the server:

2-quad core 1.6 procs

2gb 667 dual ranked ram

2- 250 gig hdds sas5ir internal raid adapter

gigibit nic

travan 40 tape backup

add in sata/sas controler for 2 hdd's raid 1

now it is my understanding that i have to disable the raid controlleri the bios and load all the drivers before i put whs on, am i correct? and does anyone see a problem with the machine that i should be aware of

Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:46 AM

All replies

•  hoeky_b wrote:

I have just bought a new dell server for whs.

2-quad core 1.6 procs

2gb 667 dual ranked ram

gigibit nic

travan 40 tape backup

now it is my understanding that i have to disable the raid controlleri the bios and load all the drivers before i put whs on, am i correct? and does anyone see a problem with the machine that i should be aware of

SMP is overkill, one quad core would be more than enough. The savings could have went to more drives.
    RAID isn't supported but it can be done, if you insist. I've done it, I went back to individual drives.
    I wouldn't use a tape backup, myself, YMMV.

Nice box though. Wink

Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:51 AM
  •  hoeky_b wrote:

I have just bought a new dell server for whs.

2-quad core 1.6 procs

2gb 667 dual ranked ram

gigibit nic

travan 40 tape backup

Hi,

Yes, it best not to setup your hard disk as raid as it said.

Simple issue tho, if you want to install WHS and do NOT want some drive to be in the pool of WHS, do not coonect them when you install WHS, after the installed done, and WHS is running, reconnect the drive back, it will not be add to the normal WHS shars.

Also as knowing, WHS will format any drive/s while it installing.

My best.
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

Also, you won't be able to use the tape backup software to take a full copy of the WHS - unless you can use a program to boot from a CD and run the tape software without starting the WHS software.

M/s has already said that nearly all backup software at present will break the server, but hopefully,newer versions will appear soon.

Colin

Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:12 PM
  •  

I have an internal RAID adapter (SAS Controller) configured for RAID 1 and my problem is that I can't get past WHS loading screen that gives me an error concerning the hardware configuration.

It is my understanding that RAID is not supported, but the SATA/SAS controller card is proprietary on the adapter plugin for the SATA drives, thus eliminating the ability to attach the SATA drives directly on the MB via a SATA cable.

Is there a way to somehow get past the WHS error and perhaps 'force' the setup to recognize the RAID? Is there any possible workaround aside from changing the hadware configuration?

Thanks!

Saturday, August 4, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  hoeky_b wrote:

I have an internal RAID adapter (SAS Controller) configured for RAID 1 and my problem is that I can't get past WHS loading screen that gives me an error concerning the hardware configuration.

It is my understanding that RAID is not supported, but the SATA/SAS controller card is proprietary on the adapter plugin for the SATA drives, thus eliminating the ability to attach the SATA drives directly on the MB via a SATA cable.

Is there a way to somehow get past the WHS error and perhaps 'force' the setup to recognize the RAID? Is there any possible workaround aside from changing the hadware configuration?

Thanks!

Why not just configure the card to not be RAID1, or remove it, instead? When I broke my array to re-install I set the SATA RAID controller to IDE mode and everything installed fine, without adding textmode (F6) drivers.

Hope that helps...

Saturday, August 4, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Looking at a couple of Dell Servers here, the SAS/SATA adapter on the drive, is just that, an adapter. Here, you can remove the adapter and the drives then are just standard WD Sata drives.

Most of Dell motherboards that use this type of arrangement, also have the standard Sata headers, so you should be able to just bypass the SAS setup.

HTH

Colin

Sunday, August 5, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Hi

Did you experience any problems with the two quad-core processors?

What I’m thinking of is that Windows Home Server is build on a Standard Small Business Server which default supports 2 CPU's. Or am I wrong?

I’m thinking of upgrading my server to 4 maybe 8 cores because I’m using it as host for my virtual machines.

/Martin

Sunday, September 2, 2007 2:27 PM
  • I believe that the 2 CPU limit is a processor slot limit. It will support an unlimited number of cores as long as they go in no more than 2 slots.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:02 AM