HP Mediasmart Temps RRS feed

• Question

•  

My CPU temp has been pretty steady around 30Cel with load up to 40Cel. 

The case temp was steady at 30cel also, UNTIL I added a 4th drive, now it is steady at 40 and have seen it as high as 43cel. Is anyone else experiencing this? The fan speed does not seem to be adjustable, and is steady at around 1300 or so.

I am tempted to remove one of my drives to bring it back down to the 30 range.

Yes, it is in a cool place, and my ambient room temp is in the 70's F

Anyone else experiencing this? I am concerned about the high case temp, but am not sure if I should have something to worry about. I know the HDDs will be fine, but the rest of the components have to be affected somehow right?

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 5:11 PM

Answers

• Umm, don't sweat it. Smile

It sounds to me like your server is operating normally; empty drive bays allow for more ambient air flow, which reduces case temps two ways, with increased air flow and fewer heat-generating components. But now that you've filled all of them, all the air being measured is being warmed by the drives, and there are more drives. It's normal: you add more heat-generating components, and internal temperatures rise. As long as nothing is out of spec (and it doesn't sound like anything is) there's no cause for alarm.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:16 PM

All replies

• Umm, don't sweat it. Smile

It sounds to me like your server is operating normally; empty drive bays allow for more ambient air flow, which reduces case temps two ways, with increased air flow and fewer heat-generating components. But now that you've filled all of them, all the air being measured is being warmed by the drives, and there are more drives. It's normal: you add more heat-generating components, and internal temperatures rise. As long as nothing is out of spec (and it doesn't sound like anything is) there's no cause for alarm.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:16 PM
  • rgr, thx for the reassurance!

Could not find anyone stating what their in box case temp was, so was a bit concerned over it. I guess as long as it does not melt I am happy!!

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Ever check internal ambient temps in a seriously tricked-out but quiet gaming PC? 40° C. is nothing. Smile
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:05 PM
  • I agree with Ken Warren that you are running normaly, I have the same HP box loaded with 4 7200rpm drives and I have been doing some testing with it where it almost runs on the fine line of abuse, when this thing gets hot, trust me, you will hear the fans before the shut off kicks in, also try to keep the box higher up away from the ground as possible to keep the flow of dust down, if this is going to be a 24/7 thing, the internals should have some preventative measures taken.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:14 PM