What is the largest HDD size supported? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install WHS onto a system with a 4TB RAID (8x500GB) and when trying to install it says "Windows requires a 64GB or greater drive to install to, primary installed drive is only 4GB". I'm confused, surely a new server OS should support multiple TB drives. Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:14 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses MBR style disks, not GPT disks, which are required for individual volumes larger than 2 TB. In the intended environment of the home or home-based business, disks larger than 2 TB are still a long way (years) from wide adoption.

Your best bet is to either install an additional internal disk specifically for Windows Home Server to install on, or to break your array and expose the individual disks. As Windows Home Server is not supported on RAID arrays (you can install in that environment and it will work, if you know what you're doing, but Microsoft isn't interested in bug reports), I would go with the latter course.

In your particular case, are you supplying the drivers for your RAID controller at the appropriate points in setup? You will probably need to do so twice: once in the initial graphical phase (after you initiallly boot from the installation media) and a second time just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt in text-mode setup.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 7:30 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Windows Home Server uses MBR style disks, not GPT disks, which are required for individual volumes larger than 2 TB. In the intended environment of the home or home-based business, disks larger than 2 TB are still a long way (years) from wide adoption.

That's annoying, because I bought an expensive 8 port RAID controller specifically for this project for data security, I could have used the onboard 4 SATA ports and bought a cheaper additional 4 port card.

Ken Warren wrote:
    In your particular case, are you supplying the drivers for your RAID controller at the appropriate points in setup? You will probably need to do so twice: once in the initial graphical phase (after you initiallly boot from the installation media) and a second time just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt in text-mode setup.

Currently the only disk(s) installed in the system is the 4TB array and the install initially told me there was no disk available to install on, did I want to install an additional driver, which I did. I did not get as far as the reboot because it refused to install, claiming it only had a 4GB volume available.

If I were to install a single drive (or mirrored pair) to put the OS on to, is there any way of seeing a disk volume larger than the 2TB limit or would I have to split my array into 2x2TB volumes? I do require the security of a RAID array as the finished system will be installed on a 2 million dollar yacht to store DVD's and music serving 4 Media Centre PC's.

Thanks for your advice so far

Andrew McKay

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:47 PM
  •  aamckay wrote:

If I were to install a single drive (or mirrored pair) to put the OS on to, is there any way of seeing a disk volume larger than the 2TB limit or would I have to split my array into 2x2TB volumes? I do require the security of a RAID array as the finished system will be installed on a 2 million dollar yacht to store DVD's and music serving 4 Media Centre PC's.

There is no supported way to convert to a GPT disk, so you'll have to split the array into two volumes. As for RAID vs. not, I would advise you to use a mirrored pair for the system disk, and I would also advise you to disable duplication on all shares (because you will have everything on a RAID array and therefore already protected against the loss of a single disk). Also, you should not deploy before Power Pack 1 is released; it will include a patch for a file corruption issue.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning to handle the eventual need for an array rebuild, when a disk fails? Will you have a hot spare or two installed?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:27 PM