none
Computer wakes form sleep mode on its own RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS, a laptop and a desktop on a wired LAN with a broadband modem. Only the desktop has Win7 RC and the WHS connector software installed. The laptop has Vista HP and no connector software. A shared printer is on the server. Before installing Win7 I was using Vista Business and all seemed to work fine. The desktop stayed in sleep mode untill the backup by WHS woke it up. After installing Win7 the desktop now will wake itself, usually after about 15 to 20 minutes. I have tried disconnecting things one at a time but cannot nail down just what is waking the computer. It seems that when the server is off it will stay sleeping longer and some times with the server off it will sleep untill I wake it. It woke itself even with the LAN unplugged.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Joe
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 11:47 PM

All replies

• I have a WHS, a laptop and a desktop on a wired LAN with a broadband modem. Only the desktop has Win7 RC and the WHS connector software installed. The laptop has Vista HP and no connector software. A shared printer is on the server. Before installing Win7 I was using Vista Business and all seemed to work fine. The desktop stayed in sleep mode untill the backup by WHS woke it up. After installing Win7 the desktop now will wake itself, usually after about 15 to 20 minutes. I have tried disconnecting things one at a time but cannot nail down just what is waking the computer. It seems that when the server is off it will stay sleeping longer and some times with the server off it will sleep untill I wake it. It woke itself even with the LAN unplugged.

Thank you,

Joe

It sounds to me like a Win 7 issue, not a WHS issue (besides, keep in mind it's RC, not RTM).  Having said that, you could always file a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:02 AM

Thank you,

Joe

Did this issue occur before installing the Connecto software? If you uninstall the Connector software, does this still occur? Is the system waking at a time other than during the scheduled backup time?

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Lara,

I did not uninstall the connector software. I did disable wake on Lan in the onboard nic properties of the Win 7 computer. That seemed to resolve the issue at that  time. The computer is waking itself other than the scheduled backup time. It does seem to be a Win 7 issue and have sent a message to ha forum. Other posts seem to indicate a problem with sleep mode in the RC.

Joe
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 3:00 PM