FYI - New drives - Make sure they are good RRS feed

• General discussion

• FYI for all building larger storage.

I purchased 5, 500 gig IDE drives for a good price. Bought an external 4 bay enclosure for 4 of the drives, the 5th is an internal one on a removabe slide ( the system also contains 7 small SCSI drives, so WHS does do a good job sorting all of this out )

Anyway, On installation I removed all drives except the SCSI ( non raid ). Once WHS was installed I added one drive at a time to the storage. All went very well.

Now I will get to my comment. The 4 bay enclosure is USB run, has power and activity lights for each drive. I have noticed one of the sets ( drives 9&10 )  Master / Slave configured drives had there activity light constanly on every so often and to get them off I had to reboot the server and power off/on the enclosure drives. I thought it was the enclosure that was causing the problem. So I moved the drive sets around and the problem followed the drives.

So, it turns out that one of the drives were Bad. My advice: Use the event viewer at times. I did; and indeed I was getting write failures and data corruption errors on the drive set but the console said all was healty.

Just because a drive is new don't assume it is fully functional.

Phil

Drive enclosure from Ebay superldg

Drives, Maxtors bought from Staples

Friday, September 21, 2007 1:05 PM

All replies

• Thats good advice from Phil.

I'll be honest I have stopped buying Maxtor drives as I kept having failures and it just isnt worth it.

Andrew

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:10 PM
  • Evening,

I'm with Andrew, in the last year I've had 4 Maxtor drives fail, all within the warranty period - none of them had been over-used. At present, the vast majority of drives are Samsung and are the ones I put in customers units, however, I expect I'll try the new WD 'Green' drives and if they work out, could be a additional selling point.

Colin

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Hey all,

This is as good a subject for my first post as any.  I have been following WHS with much interest, and am one of the many waiting for it to come out for sale in Canada.  I didn't get in on any of the testing, so I can't wait to get it.

My advise, which I am following myself this moment, is to put new (and even old faithful) drives throughly through their paces before installing WHS.  I have a brand new system I put together which is just waiting for WHS with four new WD Sata-3 500 GB HDs. 

Would you trust four new HDs from the same company, made on the same day?  Well me neither, so I have been running a great product called SpinRite on each drive in sequence.  Testing on each drive is taking ~43 hours on a 50GB HD.  And I am running the tests twice on each.   That's ~344 hours of constant testing, a little over two weeks, before an OS gets anywhere near the system.

Anyway, that may be my paranoia, but I expect this system to be doing it's job for years to come and I want to make this as reliable as possible.

Anyway, back into lurking mode I go... waiting for the product to hit those virtual shelves.

Paul

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:57 AM
  • Paul has a good point!

Also, if you use folder duplication on all your folders (yeah I know, not always possible depending on the amount of data) then you will also reduce the risk of data loss in the event of a drive failure.

Andrew

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:04 AM
  • Andrew

I have a computer shop and have replaced 1 Maxtor, 2 WDs and 1 Seagate last week.

My opinion, they are all equally bad.

I can buy a 500 Gig drive on sale at Staples for about $80, I have wondered for a few years how they could sell a drive for that price and still have any quality control.

Bob

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 2:03 PM
  •  Bob Millard wrote:

Andrew

I have a computer shop and have replaced 1 Maxtor, 2 WDs and 1 Seagate last week.

My opinion, they are all equally bad.

I can buy a 500 Gig drive on sale at Staples for about $80, I have wondered for a few years how they could sell a drive for that price and still have any quality control.

Bob

Things have changed, they are now using the consumer for Quality Control.  On the downside, some of the diagnostic tools manufacturers provide will say that anything that can spin is good.  Steve Gibson's Spinrite has always been a good tool when I needed one.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 3:22 PM