Language conflict risk ? RRS feed

Answers

• You should probably not install the English upgrade on your French server. Your options are limited, unfortunately. You could wait for the final PP1 release, which will be localized to French, or you can temporarily install the English eval version that you can download from Connect, then install the PP1 update. You'll then have to reinstall the French version before you install the final PP1 release in French.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:56 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Yes, there's a risk to your data. Probable worst case is that you have to wipe your server clean. I think that's unlikely, but it's a very large negative.
    I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but I will say that I absolutely would not do it with my production server.

OK :Understood Smile

-> I will wait for final WHS PP1 French version !

Waiting this, I will no more modify any multimedia data after storing it on the WHS
    (Tag by client PC Media Centers like J River MC or Vista MCE, or Edit by graphic programs, for example, ..)

Now, I will have time for checking all my WHS  data, for possible corruption

Thanks for all Smile

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:21 PM

All replies

• You should probably not install the English upgrade on your French server. Your options are limited, unfortunately. You could wait for the final PP1 release, which will be localized to French, or you can temporarily install the English eval version that you can download from Connect, then install the PP1 update. You'll then have to reinstall the French version before you install the final PP1 release in French.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:56 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You should probably not install the English upgrade on your French server. Your options are limited, unfortunately. You could wait for the final PP1 release, which will be localized to French, or you can temporarily install the English eval version that you can download from Connect, then install the PP1 update. You'll then have to reinstall the French version before you install the final PP1 release in French.

Thanks !
    Not easy process,
    ... and  perhaps (?) not very secure process for my data , isn't it ?

The steps :
    Actual installed version : WHS oem French version, updated some months ago by SP2
    Install (directly on my French version ??) the English free trial eval version
    install the English PP1 update
    Tests

if Test Ok,
    -> use English PP1 and .. waiting for PP1 French version

If Test not OK:
    Reinstall (directly on English PP1 ??) , my initial WHS oem French version
    then, Update with SP2

Question:
    What about the risk for my .. about 2To Multimedia data ?

Thanks for your ideas Smile

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:16 AM
  • Yes, there's a risk to your data. Probable worst case is that you have to wipe your server clean. I think that's unlikely, but it's a very large negative.

I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but I will say that I absolutely would not do it with my production server.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 2:26 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Yes, there's a risk to your data. Probable worst case is that you have to wipe your server clean. I think that's unlikely, but it's a very large negative.

OK :Understood Smile

-> I will wait for final WHS PP1 French version !

Waiting this, I will no more modify any multimedia data after storing it on the WHS
    (Tag by client PC Media Centers like J River MC or Vista MCE, or Edit by graphic programs, for example, ..)

Now, I will have time for checking all my WHS  data, for possible corruption

Thanks for all Smile

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Hello,

WHS power pack 1 final is published :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1A6AEF46-DB57-401F-814F-6EFA26E7A1E8&displaylang=en

I read:

System Requirements
        * Supported Operating Systems: Windows Home Server
    Power Pack 1 applies to all Windows Home Servers.

-> So, I understand that multi language is implemented ?

Thanks Smile
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:16 PM
  • The second paragraph of the WHS team blog post announcing Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 contains the information you're looking for.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:56 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The second paragraph of the WHS team blog post announcing Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 contains the information you're looking for.

OK, Thanks for the link !
    On the link you give me , I can read :

"The English version is available now and German, Spanish and French versions will be available on the Download Center soon."

Ok :
    "All" can be translated by "English" in the sentence I noted in my post

... As usual ..

I will wait for August !

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:22 PM