What's hell of this error message! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm really mad.

My add-ins can be installed and running successfully most of the time, but sometime when i click to install the same available add-ins,  a message box pop up immediately and said:

The selected add-in failed to install. The error code was CannotCopy. Please contact the add-in author for assistance. 

I believe that my MSI even has not started to run.

Where does this error message come from?

What's the meanning of it?

How can i fix it? 

Please help.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:08 AM

Answers

•  

You must be installing your Add-IN over a previous version you already installed and the console using it? If so, did you uninstall the previous version before trying to install the new one? The installer copies the dll to the same directory and if there is a dll already present which is getting used by the console, this could happen.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:10 PM

All replies

•  

You must be installing your Add-IN over a previous version you already installed and the console using it? If so, did you uninstall the previous version before trying to install the new one? The installer copies the dll to the same directory and if there is a dll already present which is getting used by the console, this could happen.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Thank you very much.

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:58 AM
  • Anti:

Now we occur this error as the same,

and by hard trying through register or other place,

we find one situation that cause it.

in the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\

every toolkit installed from "add-in" will has a copy in this folder

which ought to be used in uninstall course by WHS console later.

then, in our situation, we find that the .msi file that we provide

has been added a "ReadOnly" attribute which cause that CannotCopy error.

But anyway, We don't know when or how this attribute was added to this file.

Maybe we did, Maybe WHS did, God knows.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:35 AM
  •  

All,

My own resolution :-)

The answer is ...

1) Login to your WHS server directly as the Administrator (note that I built my own server - I don't know how to do this without the server having a head (keyboard, mouse, video))

2) Delete any addins that failed to install from the \Software\Addins directory using Windows Explorer

3) Locate the addin downloads that you require (I used IE 7 on the server)

4) Download the addins to \Software\Addins directory

5) Use the console to install the addins as Microsoft indicates (as stated earlier in this blog)

Now I have no problems :-)

Although I don't specifically know why this works, it probably relates to WHS security settings and the file settings. When I copied the files from my "client" computer to the WHS server, something wasn't right, and WHS released the "cannotcopy" error.

I hope that this helps ...

Now to testing the addins ... :-)

Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:22 PM
  • You can RDP directly to the console session whether you have keyboard, mouse, video or not with:-

%windir%\system32\mstsc.exe /v:homeserver /console (assuming your WHS is called HOMESERVER).

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:47 AM