Problem With Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a client's computer and am having a heck of a time getting the tool to work.  I try to run the tool but I keep getting the error below and I am not sure why.  The computer is connected to the internet, as I am downloading the tool, so I know that is not the problem.  I have also tried to turn off Windows Firewall and the antivirus software but so far no dice.  Any idea how to fix this error code?  I am getting this before I get to the part where I can enter the new product key.

Product Key Update Failure

The application has encountered an error while downloading required files from Microsoft.  Please ensure the machine is connected to the internet and try again.  Error 0x80072efe

Saturday, June 3, 2006 12:19 AM

Answers

• That error message is specific to not being able to connect to the Windows Update servers to collect files (that'll be needed to change your system to an OEM, Retail, etc).

Its a proxy issue that is blocking port 80 (very generic port) from communicating. I would suggest doing a repair install if you can?

Thanks!

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:49 AM

All replies

• Just an update: The computer is behind a hardware firewall and I disabled that and now I get the same error most everyone has been complaining of, something like 0x800004005.
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 12:28 AM
  • Do you have any other antivirus or firewall software running?

Also, are you running on a proxy?

-Phil

Sunday, June 4, 2006 6:20 PM
  • I do not have any firewall on, either hardware or software and it is connected wirelessly to a router but I have turned that firewall off as well and still have had problems, any idea?  Sorry that I am just now responding, I didn't see that you had responded.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 11:47 PM
  • That error message is specific to not being able to connect to the Windows Update servers to collect files (that'll be needed to change your system to an OEM, Retail, etc).

Its a proxy issue that is blocking port 80 (very generic port) from communicating. I would suggest doing a repair install if you can?

Thanks!

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:49 AM