Rundll32 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using windows vista home premium, and after recently installing a game from the internet I found that when I opened internet explorer that a box appears saying

A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer

Name: windows process host (Rundll32)
    Publisher: Microsoft windows

It then gives me the option to chose from Allow, or don’t allow

When I click either of the buttons it goes to the internet, however, when I click allow, I get a new virus

How can I fix this?

Thanks

Friday, December 28, 2007 2:55 AM

Answers

• Hi x3Toni,

Just so I understand:

1) You installed a "game" off the internet.

2) After installing this "game", everytime you open Internet Explorer, a website attempts to run a virus using your computer's rundll32 windows process.

3) Vista notices that a 3rd party(the website) is trying to run a program using one of it's own processes (rundll32) and asks you if it's ok to allow this Virus to run.

4) If you allow the Virus to run, you get a Virus. If you don't allow it to run, you don't get a Virus.

Do I understand correctly?

If so, and without knowing any additional details, I would say: Uninstall this "game" and then run a Anti-Virus program to clean out any leftover viruses. But this Forum is for the support of Windows Genuine Validation, and your question is outside my area of knowledge. So If you would like a more knowledgable secound opinion, I suggest reposting your question in one of the Vista NewGroups at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=42486

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi x3Toni,

Just so I understand:

1) You installed a "game" off the internet.

2) After installing this "game", everytime you open Internet Explorer, a website attempts to run a virus using your computer's rundll32 windows process.

3) Vista notices that a 3rd party(the website) is trying to run a program using one of it's own processes (rundll32) and asks you if it's ok to allow this Virus to run.

4) If you allow the Virus to run, you get a Virus. If you don't allow it to run, you don't get a Virus.

Do I understand correctly?

If so, and without knowing any additional details, I would say: Uninstall this "game" and then run a Anti-Virus program to clean out any leftover viruses. But this Forum is for the support of Windows Genuine Validation, and your question is outside my area of knowledge. So If you would like a more knowledgable secound opinion, I suggest reposting your question in one of the Vista NewGroups at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=42486

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Thanks, i already tried this but it didnt help, im getting a new laptop soon though so its ok Smile

Thank you anyway

Friday, December 28, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Hi Darin,

I also have this exact problem when I tried printing from the Microsoft Website.  In this case, it was from Microsoft Premier Support when selecting "Print submitted case".

Cheers,

ANgie

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  Darin Smith MS wrote:

But this Forum is for the support of Windows Genuine Validation, and your question is outside my area of knowledge. So If you would like a more knowledgable secound opinion, I suggest reposting your question in one of the Vista NewGroups at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=42486

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:42 PM