none
Copying files from previous WHS disk to new one RRS feed

• Question

• I have just reinstalled a fresh copy of WHS onto an 80GB IDE drive. I went into the the console "added" a 2 TB drive. Also attached is the 500 GB drive that the 2TB drive has replaced. I can see all of my files on the 500GB drive. I am mainly interested in preserving the backups. However, I would like to avoid having to copy 90GB of media files from a client PC back over the network to the server.

This is where I made my mistake earlier. I logged into the WHS desktop locally. I installed then used Synctoy to copy 300GB of data from the 500GB  to the 2TB drive. Nearing completion Synctoy stopped and the WHS Console warned I was running out of disk space on drive D: "DATA". If I understand earlier posts, what I should have done was to log into the server with remote desktop from a client machine. No issues there as I often use the RDC.

My questions come from the verbage of copying to "shares". What I read said I should "copy to a share" ..... DO NOT copy to "D:\shares\etc..." From a command line perspective, what is meant by share? Does this all mean that navigating to " \\server\Music " and pasteing files there is okay, whereas navigating to "D:\Shares\Music" would cause issues? Assuming that I understand this correctly, can I use a utility like Synctoy on the server as long as the target folder is " \\server\music "?

Thanks!

Karl H.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 1:14 AM

All replies

• A server share, in this context, is anything reached through a UNC path that starts at \\localhost (only on your server) or at \\server. The shortcut placed on a client computer's desktop is nothing more than a link to \\server, and the shortcut on the server's desktop is a link to \\%computername%.

So yes, using Synctoy to copy to \\server\music would be fine, even on the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:51 AM