Unknown network error during system restore RRS feed

• Question

• I've been getting an "Unknown network error" whilst attempting a restore of a PC from WHS.

I've ensured DHCP is working correctly on two different routers, unplugged all but the WHS box and the box being restored.  I've also tried very short network cables in case that is the problem.

I can connect to the WHS box and start the restore process, but the error occurs during the restore process for every restore I start.

I'm now at the point of rebuilding the OS and ignoring WHS.

Are other people experiencing this problem?

Has anyone out there had success making this problem go away?

I'm pretty frustrated and starting to think of the WHS backup as a write only application.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    sometimes the network drivers do not function well in the Windows PE environment. Maybe you can get more current drivers from the maker of the network card or chip.
    In such cases, given you have a second client PC  with WHS connector installed at your hands and have some basic knowledge about handling hardware you can go the following route:
    • Detach the disk from the PC, which you want to restore.
    • Attach it to the second PC as a secondary drive (either by connecting to an internal port or with an USB to SATA/IDE connector).
    • Boot that PC up.
    • Restore the disk by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe, which can be found in Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC. Be carefull here with the selection of the target disk to not overwrite the wrong disk with the backup from the other PC!
    • Shut down the PC and move the disk back to the original PC.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    sometimes the network drivers do not function well in the Windows PE environment. Maybe you can get more current drivers from the maker of the network card or chip.
    In such cases, given you have a second client PC  with WHS connector installed at your hands and have some basic knowledge about handling hardware you can go the following route:
    • Detach the disk from the PC, which you want to restore.
    • Attach it to the second PC as a secondary drive (either by connecting to an internal port or with an USB to SATA/IDE connector).
    • Boot that PC up.
    • Restore the disk by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe, which can be found in Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC. Be carefull here with the selection of the target disk to not overwrite the wrong disk with the backup from the other PC!
    • Shut down the PC and move the disk back to the original PC.
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:29 PM
  • Thanks

Good suggestion Olaf.

I will give that a go at some point soon (when I'm not too frustrated and if I don't simply rebuild the system).

If the problem is with the PE disk, this is likely to bite me on other systems as well.

Are you aware of whether I can slipstream the WHS restore disk to include specific drivers for my network cards?  This would give me a customised restore CD that I could use across all my home systems and might be of interest to other WHS users.

Cheers

Ozone Hole
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Hi,
    OzoneHole said:

Are you aware of whether I can slipstream the WHS restore disk to include specific drivers for my network cards.  This would give me a customised restore CD that I could use across all my home systems and might be of interest to other WHS users.

Unfortunatly we don't see a normal Vista PE boot.wim file here, for which injection of drivers with help of the Vista AIK is well documented and supported.
    For the WHS computer restore CD it is not supported or documented to slipstream drivers.
    I never have tried that, but it could be enough, to copy the appropriate driver files  to the folder Windows\system32\drivers on the CD and the .inf files for these drivers to Windows\inf and rebuild a bootable CD with the altered content.
    It's for sure a lot of work involved (and if you wish to test this, I recommend to have a CD-RW medium ready).
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:22 PM