Validating an invalid copy of Windows 7 ultimate by buying a genuine license RRS feed

• Question

• I have managed to purchase a non-genuine copy of Windows 7 ultimate - something which became apparent after a few weeks of use (if something seems too good to be true...). I want to purchase a genuine copy and wondered whether it is possible to keep all of my settings (bookmarks, email accounts etc) - ideally simply by providing the genuine key to validate my already-installed software.

Many thanks in advance!

Monday, December 6, 2010 3:13 PM

Answers

• "Stigmundo" wrote in message news:e7b31bb0-a577-4308-9a2e-fcd5c8f3cb30...

I have managed to purchase a non-genuine copy of Windows 7 ultimate - something which became apparent after a few weeks of use (if something seems too good to be true...). I want to purchase a genuine copy and wondered whether it is possible to keep all of my settings (bookmarks, email accounts etc) - ideally simply by providing the genuine key to validate my already-installed software.

Many thanks in advance!

It shouldn't be a problem, assuming that you buy the Full Retail version of whichever edition of Win 7 you already have.
    You should be aware, however, that a lot of counterfeits have malware built-in, and that it is much better to do a clean install with your new genuine disks, and then import your data through a decent anti-virus.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, December 6, 2010 11:13 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 3:50 PM