Initial Build Recommendation RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a home server from scratch.  I have a new, RAID (0, 1, 0+1, etc) capable mobo and three new (SATA) 500GB hard drives.  I'm looking for advice on how I should configure my system.  I'm interested in speed primarily and therefore am thinking I want RAID 0.  But I wouldn't mind striping and mirroring i.e., RAID 0 + 1 for the safety.  For ease long term, should I build a three disk array in RAID 0 or should I bite the bullet and buy a fourth drive and go with RAID 0+1?  Should I install the O/S on the RAID array or have a two disk array and install the O/S on the third drive?  Or should I just say the heck with all of it, install the O/S on one of the drives and use Home Server's drive extender?  I'd be interested in pluses and minuses and the forums opinions. 
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    Windows Home Server does not support RAID.
    Using RAID anyway makes not only the installation more troublesome, the reinstall process may become even more painfull.
    RAID 0 only increases the risk of a disk failure to blow up the entire construction, since there is no redundancy.

Why would you even need the potential speed increase of the disks with RAID0?
    You are a single user (or a small group of users) and usually the network is the bottleneck and not the disk.

The best scenario with Windows Home Server  is, to use each disk as a separate drive.
    Then you can incorporate folder duplication for the shared folders and have the data distributed on two disks, as long as there is enough space on one for the data).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Windows Home Server does not support RAID.
    Using RAID anyway makes not only the installation more troublesome, the reinstall process may become even more painfull.
    RAID 0 only increases the risk of a disk failure to blow up the entire construction, since there is no redundancy.

Why would you even need the potential speed increase of the disks with RAID0?
    You are a single user (or a small group of users) and usually the network is the bottleneck and not the disk.

The best scenario with Windows Home Server  is, to use each disk as a separate drive.
    Then you can incorporate folder duplication for the shared folders and have the data distributed on two disks, as long as there is enough space on one for the data).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Olaf.  Great advice!  Now if I could just get the software (see my post over on the software forum).
    • Marked as answer by vmi1981 Saturday, October 18, 2008 8:01 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by vmi1981 Sunday, October 19, 2008 1:54 AM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:57 PM