Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Product Key tries to install Student Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just purchased a copy of Office Standard Edition 2003 that has a valid product key, but when I try to install it the key prompts that it is installing the Teacher and Student Edition instead of the Standard Edition.  I've already looked at the howtotell.com website to make sure that the disc is the correct one and it is.  It does not say Student Edition anywhere on it.  It says Microsoft Office Standard Edition and has all of the correct holograms on both sides so I'm sure it's genuine.  I didn't install it because I have the old Office 2000 and hoped to upgrade it with this.  But I know that Student edition is strictly for educational use.  Why is it saying it is student edition?  Is something wrong with my key?  It is on the back of the case and I don't have the original box with the CoA on it.  I figured the disc being genuine was good enough.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:06 PM

Answers

• Hello Phaia,

Please return the item to the place of purchase for a refund.  Without the Certificate of Authenticity that was on the box, it is nongenuine software.

Not to mention the strange behavior you describe casts a lot of doubt on its authenticity, too.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:43 PM
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 1:55 AM