AV Edge server - works with Live Meeting / not with communicator RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all - I have just deployed my AV edge server per standard configs.  One nic is public IP address, the other is Internal in the DMZ.  All ports are open as specified in the Edge Server Deployment Guide.

Video and audio are both working swimmingly through Live Meeting.  However there is a hitch when trying to use it through Communicator.  If both parties are external, everything works fine.  If both parties are internal, everything works fine (obviously).  The problem occours when I try to connect AV between two Communicator clients - one internal and one external. 

It tries to connect for a second and then disconnects saying that the call disconnected because communicator stopped receiving audio from the other party.

Our environment is pretty simple.  Just a standard edition.  Access Edge and Web Conferencing on their own box and AV on its own box.

Can someone point me in a direction? 

Friday, September 5, 2008 5:41 PM

All replies

• Do you have a public Routable IP Address configured on your A/V EDGE server? (it is required)

Did you open TCP and UCP ports 50000-59999 on the firewall in from of the EDGE Server?

Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:49 PM
  •  

Yes on both counts...  What has me confused is why LiveMeeting works, but Communicator does not...  One would think it would be a both or none situation, correct?
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Can you confirm that you can telnet from a host on the web to port 443 on the public IP address that you've assigned to the AV Edge Server (to cover off any issues with ports not being open to that server)?

Have you specified the AV Edge Server under the Edge Servers tab (for the AV Authentication Service) in the Global Properties at forest level on your OCS Standard Edition server?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:50 AM
  • Check to make sure that your "internal" firewall is allowing connections from ANY internal ip to the AV edge on ports:

TCP:5062

TCP:443

UDP:3478

If not, this may explain why only LM works - if you have the firewall rule only set to allow traffic from the OCS Standard Edition server to the AV Edge, then only LM voice and video would work because internal LM clients will connect to the Standard server, not directly to the Edge.

But communicator voice/video from will go from the internal client straight through to the Edge server, not passing through the ocs front end.

Regards,

Matt

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:20 AM