Interrupt or Cancel Drive Removal Process RRS feed

• Question

• Almost three days ago, I started the process of removing a drive from my WHS. It is now only about 20%-25% of the way through. The indicator bar is moving so I don't believe it is hung. But I can't wait another week or more for this to finish.

Can I interrupt the process somehow?

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Bottom Line Up Front:  �?� The drive must be connected and powered on until the wizard has completed or you risk data loss/corruption.
    Some reading for you as to why it may be slow.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Almost three days ago, I started the process of removing a drive from my WHS. It is now only about 20%-25% of the way through. The indicator bar is moving so I don't believe it is hung. But I can't wait another week or more for this to finish.

Can I interrupt the process somehow?

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Loondawg Friday, July 6, 2012 10:00 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Thank you for the links. Sounds like there were some things I could have done beforehand, like turning off folder duplication and deleting old backups, that would have helped shorten the time a lot. But it also sounds like really long processing times are pretty common.

Since this WHS is being replaced by a 2011 unit, I guess my choices are either 1. wait a week or more for it to finish, or 2. take my (slim) chances on a hard boot.

I suppose I should just kill the server since it looks like the transfer will take longer than re-burning all my media to the new server would.

Thanks again for the links.

Friday, July 6, 2012 10:00 PM
  • I would not turn off folder duplication prior to removing the drive.  Pruning the old backups shouldn't cause any problems.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thank you for the links. Sounds like there were some things I could have done beforehand, like turning off folder duplication and deleting old backups, that would have helped shorten the time a lot. But it also sounds like really long processing times are pretty common.

Since this WHS is being replaced by a 2011 unit, I guess my choices are either 1. wait a week or more for it to finish, or 2. take my (slim) chances on a hard boot.

I suppose I should just kill the server since it looks like the transfer will take longer than re-burning all my media to the new server would.

Thanks again for the links.

BullDawg
    Friday, July 6, 2012 11:52 PM
  • Just curious, why you would recommend not turning of folder duplication while removing the drive? As a temporary move, I would think that would greatly lessen the amount of data to be transferred and should minimize processing.

FYI: I let the server run until just after midnight this morning and then did a hard shutdown. It literally had progressed no more than 5% in the last 24 hours. When I brought the server back up, the use among the drives was almost even indicating the removal process did little or nothing. I was lucky that it came back up with no CRC errors. So I am going to try to manually move everything I can off the server and try again. But I am still curious about your suggestion.

Monday, July 9, 2012 1:20 PM
  • If you turn off folder duplication, then there will only be one copy of the files on your server.  If that one copy is on the drive you are removing and that drive is damaged, and I would say that is a high possibility since the removal is taking a long time, then any data on that drive most probably will be lost.

I would only do this if I have my data backed up elsewhere.  Do you have a good back up of your data?  Are you willing to lose the data on the drive you are trying to remove if you do not have a back up?  If you answer yes to either of those questions, then shut down your WHS, physically remove the drive, then power back up.  Chances are you will see file conflicts at this point.  Then go to the WHS console and you should see one pool drive listed as missing.  Start the drive removal wizard and remove the missing drive.  You may see warnings that data on the missing drive will be lost.  You did mention that "it looks like the transfer will take longer than re-burning all my media to the new server would" and if that means you have a copy of everything and don't mind copying it back to the new server, then proceed.

I hope you are lucky and don't lose any data, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Sorry, but it seems the glass is half empty and not half full in this case.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Just curious, why you would recommend not turning of folder duplication while removing the drive? As a temporary move, I would think that would greatly lessen the amount of data to be transferred and should minimize processing.

FYI: I let the server run until just after midnight this morning and then did a hard shutdown. It literally had progressed no more than 5% in the last 24 hours. When I brought the server back up, the use among the drives was almost even indicating the removal process did little or nothing. I was lucky that it came back up with no CRC errors. So I am going to try to manually move everything I can off the server and try again. But I am still curious about your suggestion.

BullDawg
    Monday, July 9, 2012 1:43 PM
  • That make sense.

I lucked out. I shut it down and restarted it and everything looks fine. In fact a weird thing is that the drives now look more balanced than they were before I started. Oh well. I'm just going to add more disk space, delete some files, and try again. This time I'll just make sure it's not sitting on the kitchen table when I start.

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:15 PM
  • They most likely look more balanced because files were moved off the one drive you were trying to remove.  The files were moved to another drive(s).

I would also run chkdsk on the drives.  This can take a long time also.  Info can be found here from a post by Ken Warren.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

That make sense.

I lucked out. I shut it down and restarted it and everything looks fine. In fact a weird thing is that the drives now look more balanced than they were before I started. Oh well. I'm just going to add more disk space, delete some files, and try again. This time I'll just make sure it's not sitting on the kitchen table when I start.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:32 AM