Speed up backup... RRS feed

• Question

• I have already done a search for speeding up backups but have not seen this question asked.  Would something such as Windows Desktop Search speed up the process of backups since (excuse if not worded properly) it keeps track of files on the client?  By the way transfer speeds are not an issue since I am running gigabit ethernet.  Just looking for a way to speed up the file comparison process.

Thanks
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:10 AM

Answers

• Stu Pidaso said:

Oops, sorry.  We all know the initial does not count but after that all PCs on average are about 20 to 30 minutes total each.

That does seem like a long time.  Do you defrag your clients often?

Stu Pidaso said:

My initial question was if something such as Windows Desktop Search would help speed things up.

Not to my knowledge.

Stu Pidaso said:

I understand if it would not but would be smart of MS to tie it in though if anything just to get you to download one more product :P

• Marked as answer by Stu Pidaso Friday, February 20, 2009 3:01 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

You know I have not defraged in awhile.  One of those I forget to do from time to time.  Sometimes you work with something all the time then forget to do stuff to your own computers.  I will give that a go and see if that helps :)

defragmenting may cause backup to take longer, as well as applications, which mark data as changed (some Virus scanners have done such stuff in the past).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:42 AM

All replies

• The part where is checks for changed files?  I'm figuring that depends on the speed of the client/whs server and not network speed.  My backups take less then 5 min, how long do yours take?  But I'm also on a gigabit network with jumbo frames and all that jazz.  But even my laptop that isn't gigabit does not take longer then 5 min.  What are the specs of your machines?  How much data are you backing up?
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:34 AM
  • The server itself is P4 3 ghz HT with 3 gigs of RAM and 2 750 gig SATA hard drives for storage.

2 PCs are P4 3 ghz with approx 100 gigs or less of data. XP

1 PC is Core 2 Duo with approx 200 gigs of data. XP

1 PC is Core 2 Quad with approx 200 gigs of data. XP

1 PC is Core 2 Quad with approx 150 gigs of data. XP

1 PC (laptop) is AMD 64 Athlon X2 with approx 80 gigs of data.  Vista

All PCs have 2 or more gigs of RAM.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

The server itself is P4 3 ghz HT with 3 gigs of RAM and 2 750 gig SATA hard drives for storage.

2 PCs are P4 3 ghz with approx 100 gigs or less of data. XP

1 PC is Core 2 Duo with approx 200 gigs of data. XP

1 PC is Core 2 Quad with approx 200 gigs of data. XP

1 PC is Core 2 Quad with approx 150 gigs of data. XP

1 PC (laptop) is AMD 64 Athlon X2 with approx 80 gigs of data.  Vista

All PCs have 2 or more gigs of RAM.

You never answered Enchanter's first question:  how long does it take now?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Oops, sorry.  We all know the initial does not count but after that all PCs on average are about 20 to 30 minutes total each.  My initial question was if something such as Windows Desktop Search would help speed things up.  I understand if it would not but would be smart of MS to tie it in though if anything just to get you to download one more product :P

Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

Oops, sorry.  We all know the initial does not count but after that all PCs on average are about 20 to 30 minutes total each.

That does seem like a long time.  Do you defrag your clients often?

Stu Pidaso said:

My initial question was if something such as Windows Desktop Search would help speed things up.

Not to my knowledge.

Stu Pidaso said:

I understand if it would not but would be smart of MS to tie it in though if anything just to get you to download one more product :P

Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:37 AM
  • You know I have not defraged in awhile.  One of those I forget to do from time to time.  Sometimes you work with something all the time then forget to do stuff to your own computers.  I will give that a go and see if that helps :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:46 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

You know I have not defraged in awhile.  One of those I forget to do from time to time.  Sometimes you work with something all the time then forget to do stuff to your own computers.  I will give that a go and see if that helps :)

defragmenting may cause backup to take longer, as well as applications, which mark data as changed (some Virus scanners have done such stuff in the past).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

... My initial question was if something such as Windows Desktop Search would help speed things up. 

It wouldn't help. The Backup feature doesn't look at whether a file has changed, it looks at whether a cluster contained within a file has changed. All desktop search could tell the backup tool is whether the file's "last modified" date has changed, and that's doubtless already being checked for every file now.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Thanks for the "basic" suggestion of defrag.  The did help a lot.  Just one of those things I have to remember to do.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:02 AM