WHS Trial ended early RRS feed

• Question

• Help!

I downloaded the 90 day trial about 1 month ago and just last night it said I can no longer connect to the server until I register the software.  I don't have the cash saved to go out an purchase the full version yet as I thought I would have a few months to see if I really liked it first, as well as save the money.  What can I do to get the trial resumed?  Will all of the stuff I saved there be lost until I can afford to purchase the software?  Thanks.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:26 PM

Answers

• You will need to register on Connect and join the Windows Home Server beta program to obtain a product key for your evaluation software. Without that product key, you can't activate, and (as you've learned) you only have 30 days to use it. Note: the 120 day evaluation period started the day you installed Windows Home Server; it doesn't stop just because your server is in an unlicensed state.

Note: when you decide to purchase the full product you will have to reinstall the operating system; there's a time bomb (different from what you're experiencing now) built in that will progressively disable your server, and that is not tied to the product key. An overview of how to do this can be found here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:34 PM

All replies

• You will need to register on Connect and join the Windows Home Server beta program to obtain a product key for your evaluation software. Without that product key, you can't activate, and (as you've learned) you only have 30 days to use it. Note: the 120 day evaluation period started the day you installed Windows Home Server; it doesn't stop just because your server is in an unlicensed state.

Note: when you decide to purchase the full product you will have to reinstall the operating system; there's a time bomb (different from what you're experiencing now) built in that will progressively disable your server, and that is not tied to the product key. An overview of how to do this can be found here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Thanks!  I guess I missed those practically hidden instructions when I downloaded the trial!  It was late at night and I didn't feel like reading instructions - I guess I got what I deserved.  Thanks again for the fast response!
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:51 PM