No automatic back ups on Vista Ultimate x64 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Installed PP1 on my Home server fine w/o any problems. Installed connector on my Vista ultimate x64 computer w/o errors. Did manual backup w/o errors. Set the client to do automatic backup between 12am and 6am. Problem is client wakes up just fine at 12:38AM everyday but back up does not occur. Instead client times out and goes back to sleep after 15 min. Checked event wiever on server and client and there is no errors reported.

Is this a known problem?

Sorry if the question has already been answered.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:26 AM

Answers

• After unpluging the UPS automatic backup completed at 2:38 AM 06/27/2008. I will try again with UPS connected tonight to see what happens.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• I had a similar problem on a Vista Ultimate 32 bit machine. I performed a manual backup of the machine, after which automatic backups resumed normally. Another Vista Home Premium PC on the network had no such problem. I have submitted a bug report on the issue.

(completely off topic, I'm also having some real issues with Firefox 3, which is why I've had to come back and edit this post in I.E.)

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Do you have a UPS hooked up to the machine?

Is it a laptop on battery power or AC power?

What are the power settings?

If answers are:  no, AC, standard stuff - then please file a bug with logs from PC and home server.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:49 AM
  • It is a HTPC with UPS with balanced power settings.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:08 AM
  • UPS could be messing with the power settings such that the Connector software thinks the PC is running on battery power.  Connector will not backup a machine if it does not sense AC power from the Power Settings APIs.

Try temporarily removing the UPS to isolate the problem or check out the UPS software settings.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:26 PM
  • I will try removing UPS and see does it make back up but I do not use any UPS software or drivers. It is wather Vista installs for it.

Should I submit a bug report or this is a known problem? Have been going through forums but have not seen problem like mine yet.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:38 PM
  • You can submit a bug report and attach logs from this PC and your home server.  It will likely get resolved as "external" as it is not inherently a Home Server bug, but it would be good to get the logs so we can let the Vista team and the UPS manufacturer know about the potential issue.

What brand / model number of UPS is it?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:01 PM
  • It is a Cy******erPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W UPS. At the office now so I will upload the logs when I get ******ack home.

&n******sp;

&n******sp;

&n******sp;

Thanks.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:22 PM
  • After unpluging the UPS automatic backup completed at 2:38 AM 06/27/2008. I will try again with UPS connected tonight to see what happens.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:12 PM
  •  Croatian wrote:

It is a Cy******erPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W UPS. At the office now so I will upload the logs when I get ******ack home.

&n******sp;

&n******sp;

&n******sp;

Thanks.

Using Firefox 3.0 at work by any chance Croatian?

Saturday, June 28, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Qoute:   "Using Firefox 3.0 at work by any chance Croatian?"

Do not use Firefox at all.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Just an update!!!!!

Tested with connected and disconnected UPS for seven days and each time UPS is connected daily back will not complete.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Croatian,

have you submitted a bug on this on connect yet? Then I could just add to it because I'm having the same problem. It's on Vista 32-bit.

I have an APC UPS connected to my client PC (talks to the PC via USB) but did not install the APC-supplied software. I'm simply using the Windows built-in UPS support. The battery icon on the taskbar indicates that the battery is charging and that the PC is plugged in, i.e. not running on battery power. But still the scheduled backups are not happening.

When I unplug the UPS USB cable from the client PC, the scheduled backup does work.

So why does the WHS connector software think the client PC is running on battery power when the taskbar icon clearly indicates that the PC is plugged in and not running on battery power???

Markus

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:42 PM
  • When my UPS is connected through USB my battery says that is completly charged. I have not submited bug yet because was busy with work last couple of weeks but I intend to do it this weekend if I have time. Just a question for you? Have you tried it in High performance power settings? I have not tried that yet. And one more thing, do you have any errors in event viewer? I do not have any.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:42 PM
  • I have only tried this on the balanced power setting.

There is nothing in the event logs that would provide any information (either on the client PC side or the WHS side). I can see in the client PC event log that it wakes up from sleep at the right time but that's it. There is no event logged by the connector software at all. This is actually an additional issue: the connector software really should write a message to the event log when it decides not to perform the scheduled backup and tell me why it didn't do it. As it is now, it's completely impossible to debug this issue. I would never have thought of the UPS as the problem, hadn't I seen this posting on the forum.

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:43 PM
  • @markus - that is a great suggestion for the connector log file - you should submit it via the Connect site.

Friday, July 11, 2008 7:03 PM